Random Thoughts Part 5: Time to Split Again

In summary, the conversation revolved around various topics such as dreams, different numbering systems, and education in different countries. The participants shared personal experiences, opinions, and debated about the merits of different theories. The conversation also included a discussion about a book and a recipe.
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Wonder if the missions that work in the South Pole use refrigerators to store their food, or if they just leave their food out somewhere.
Talking about storing food during winter, I had some time living in the north of Japan (Hokkaido) where I used to leave my covered ready-made fish or chicken outside my window the whole snowy night such that I could save some pennies for not having to use the fridge. :DD I guess some people might have done the same.

Sophia said:
Lol I meant a real furry 4-legged cat .i said it because they are so independent and it is often said that they own you and they let you use their furniture etc.
Anyway, it would be funny if it meant a woman!
I prefer dogs. But I don't like chihuahua :-p.

Likes Sophia
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle
Silicon Waffle said:
Talking about storing food during winter, I had some time living in the north of Japan (Hokkaido) where I used to leave my covered ready-made fish or chicken outside my window the whole snowy night such that I could save some pennies for not having to use the fridge. :DD I guess some people might have done the same.
Closest to that I have done is leaving food out of the fridge during cold nights (I use a heavy blanket to keep me warm).

P.S: Anyone else having trouble finding the scroll bar for this page?

WWGD said:
Closest to that I have done is leaving food out of the fridge during cold nights (I use a heavy blanket to keep me warm).

Me. the scroll bar is the same colour as page background

Any one following Robot Wars, to me it is a spectacle of mechanical mayhem with a touch of mechanical innovation.

Sophia said:
Only option I can think of is using the up, down arrow keys for now.

WWGD said:
Only option I can think of is using the up, down arrow keys for now.
I'm not having any problem using Firefox 38.5. Maybe it's browser-specific?

Borg said:
I'm not having any problem using Firefox 38.5. Maybe it's browser-specific?
I am using Chrome

Borg said:
Speaking of winter weather, it looks like a Big Ol Snow Storm is headed for the east coast this weekend. We've haven't gotten any for the last few years so it will be nice to have a BOSS or two pass through this winter. :oldlove:

Maybe just coincidence, but it seems next storm will be named HUGO, so we will have HUGO BOSS, the first storm with a fragrance, I guess.

Likes Borg
WWGD said:
Someone else weird enough: celebrating his anti-birthday, the day in the year farthest from his birthday ( July 17 ). And I glazed off when he started explaining why he felt the need to celebrate it. Another ride on the subway.
No mathematician, for sure. A mathematician would have called it co-birthday.

fresh_42 said:
No mathematician, for sure. A mathematician would have called it co-birthday.
I heard it named that ... at Co-KFC, the Cokernel's place, while eating Co-Chicken?

WWGD said:
Maybe just coincidence, but it seems next storm will be named HUGO, so we will have HUGO BOSS, the first storm with a fragrance, I guess.
Where did you see that? Hugo was retired as a Tropical Storm name in 1989 but I don't know if it applies to Winter Storm names also. This is the list that I found on the Weather Channel's site.
2015-2016-winter-storm-names.jpg

WWGD said:
I heard it named that ... at Co-KFC, the Cokernel's place, while eating Co-Chicken?
co-eating! Don't forget the co-morphisms!

Borg said:
This is the list that I found on the Weather Channel's site.
Here they used to call the deep pressure systems by female and the high pressure systems by male names ... until a few years ago PC ruled in.

Borg said:
Where did you see that? Hugo was retired as a Tropical Storm name in 1989 but I don't know if it applies to Winter Storm names also. This is the list that I found on the Weather Channel's site.
2015-2016-winter-storm-names.jpg
I may have just imagined it, I guess.

WWGD said:
Seems to be there... Firefox version - 43.0.4.

Scroll bar.JPG

A few weeks ago, I was in a rural area of Costa Rica, in a jungle village. It was a village with mostly indigenous people. My husband and I visited a place where they make traditional pottery. No electricity is used in making these pots: they grind the clay, spin the potting wheel, and decorate the pots all by hand; they're fired in a hand-made kiln made of horse poop and clay, heated with wood.

We wanted to buy two pots but didn't have enough cash. No problem - the guy swiped our debit card in his phone, and voila we were on our way with two beautiful pots.

Today, I drove a couple hours to a car dealership near Seattle, to buy a car. The time comes to do the deed, and -- WHOOPS! -- they don't take cards. I had to drive home and back to get my freakin' checkbook. Paper checks...they needed a paper check. Sheesh.

oh and i bought a car today :woot:.

Likes collinsmark, Borg, zoobyshoe and 4 others
lisab said:
Congratulations!

wolram said:
The Chinese people work them selves to death, and their working conditions are far below the west, it is no wonder.

http://www.clb.org.hk/en/content/wages-china

I've actually been to these factories, and they are hardly as abysmal as people are making them out to be. For most of those workers, working in factories is far better than what they'd instead be doing (subsidiary farming). Wages aren't even that low these days, far higher than in other developing countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCR said:
Seems to be there... Firefox version - 43.0.4.

View attachment 94495
Scroll bar is back, fortunately, I was using Chrome, tho.

Likes OCR
Sophia said:
Are you also using Chrome? Is it back?

Heard that Moore's law may not still apply. Maybe this is why I cannot find a new PC with more RAM and higher processor speed for the same price as the one I bought just a year ago.

After a big issue had been made on my throwing a banana peel in a tree planted in a public street, a followup ( original place where I posted is locked): plenty of cigarette buts, regular trash, animal feces... but no banana peels.

Likes Sophia
WWGD said:
Are you also using Chrome? Is it back?
I'm using firefox on Linux. But fortunately, I noticed it is the same colour as background only yesterday after reading your post. I use that small wheel on mouse to move the page so I don't need it.

lisab said:
A few weeks ago, I was in a rural area of Costa Rica, in a jungle village. It was a village with mostly indigenous people. My husband and I visited a place where they make traditional pottery. No electricity is used in making these pots: they grind the clay, spin the potting wheel, and decorate the pots all by hand; they're fired in a hand-made kiln made of horse poop and clay, heated with wood.

We wanted to buy two pots but didn't have enough cash. No problem - the guy swiped our debit card in his phone, and voila we were on our way with two beautiful pots.

Today, I drove a couple hours to a car dealership near Seattle, to buy a car. The time comes to do the deed, and -- WHOOPS! -- they don't take cards. I had to drive home and back to get my freakin' checkbook. Paper checks...they needed a paper check. Sheesh.

I'm not sure about the US but here only bigger shops can afford accepting credit cards. It's quite expensive and they have to pay a fee for each transaction or even some % from the transaction, I'm not sure now.
Anyway, one would expect a car seller to sacrifice a few cents or even dollars from his profit when selling a car :-)

lisab said:

Today, I drove a couple hours to a car dealership near Seattle, to buy a car. The time comes to do the deed, and -- WHOOPS! -- they don't take cards.
Love the irony in that one. Congratulations on the new car. :smile:

HomogenousCow said:
I've actually been to these factories, and they are hardly as abysmal as people are making them out to be. For most of those workers, working in factories is far better than what they'd instead be doing (subsidiary farming). Wages aren't even that low these days, far higher than in other developing countries.
The parts that disturbed me were the ones about payment of wages being 'delayed', and the abandonment of middle aged and older workers. It's one thing to be officially making a certain wage but another when that wage ends up never getting paid. Also, if, upon reaching the age of 40, employers start to marginalize you, what hope do you have for the future?

I was very energetic working on my slime mold lab culture and all of a sudden the alert bell rang. Now all my enthusiasm to continue the work disappears. What the...!?:):DD.
Off I go to watch TV.

Meet my first bonsai trees that I got today and Murko. His left eye is not really as dark as in this picture.
There's a towel to prevent draft from the window on the trees and seeds for birds on the left side :)
Murko was investigating the bonsais very carefully for a long time and - what a relief!- finally decided he would not eat them :) (he likes my dracenas, tough, he eats them like grass if he gets a chance!)
bonsai.jpg

Likes zoobyshoe, collinsmark, WWGD and 2 others
Silicon Waffle said:
I was very energetic working on my slime mold lab culture and all of a sudden the alert bell rang. Now all my enthusiasm to continue the work disappears. What the...!?:):DD.
Off I go to watch TV.
How did the slime mold feel about that?

Krylov said:
How did the slime mold feel about that?
Nothing but my teacher is getting mad. She actually is quite schizophrenic, if you know where to turn her on.

lisab said:

Congratulations. Maybe you should have paid them in pennies to show them how convenient their payment methods are. So much for pleasing the customer.

WWGD said:
Congratulations. Maybe you should have paid them in pennies to show them how convenient their payment methods are. So much for pleasing the customer.
:DD