Randomness of digits of irrational numbers.

How random are the digits of irrational numbers? Can it be said of them (i.e. pi=3.14159....) that given any arbitrarily long string of digits it must occur at some point in any irrational number? And would anyone know of anywhere I could find out more on this topic?

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How random are the digits of irrational numbers? Can it be said of them (i.e. pi=3.14159....) that given any arbitrarily long string of digits it must occur at some point in any irrational number? And would anyone know of anywhere I could find out more on this topic?
Except for a few "made up" examples that are defined by using random numbers, no one really knows. In particular it is not known whether [itex]\pi[/itex] or e or other familiar irrational numbers are "normal numbers": numbers such that every possible list of n numbers occurs, on average, 1/10n of the time: exactly what you would expect of a set of random numbers.

It can be shown, however, that, in a very specific sense, "almost all" numbers are normal! For more information, look up "normal numbers".

Thanks a lot.