Randomness the secret of everything

• Thread starter cookertron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Randomness
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a program that generates a static plane of random numbers and converts them into meaningful content, such as images or videos. The idea is that given enough time, it may be possible to discover an entire universe within the randomness. However, the existence of fundamental forces and natural selection suggest that randomness may not be the sole factor in the creation of things like planets and stars.
cookertron
Is it yet possible to have an equation whose output is completely random?

I know that programming random numbers on a computer is based on a seed (a current time stamp), and is not total random though it is sufficient for the job.

I was thinking that if it were possible to create a program that generated a static plane of random numbers and then convert those numbers into something meaningful (images for instance), then wouldn't it be possible given enough time to find a picture of myself as a baby. If the numbers converted to video then we could watch Neil armstrong land on the moon. I could propose that an entire universe could be discovered within the randomness.

Granted that any such discovery within a random sequence would be infinitesimally small.

I find it fascinating that existence may just be random coincidence and has nothing to do with forces at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

For existence and relation to randomness, see things like natural selection.
Each decision restricts future choices. Fundamental forces guide the selection.
So stuff like planets and stars are not all that unlikely.

1. What is randomness?

Randomness refers to the lack of pattern or predictability in a set of data or events. It is a fundamental concept in statistics and probability, and is often used to model uncertainty in various fields such as science, finance, and gaming.

2. How is randomness important in science?

Randomness plays a crucial role in scientific research, as it allows scientists to control for confounding variables and determine the true effects of a particular intervention or treatment. It also helps to ensure the generalizability of research findings and the reproducibility of experiments.

3. Can randomness be generated or is it truly random?

It is a common misconception that randomness can be generated. In reality, true randomness does not follow any pattern or algorithm and cannot be predicted or reproduced. However, pseudo-random numbers can be generated using computer algorithms that simulate randomness.

4. What are some examples of randomness in everyday life?

Some examples of randomness in everyday life include the flipping of a coin, the shuffling of cards, and the rolling of dice. Natural phenomena such as weather patterns and genetic mutations also exhibit elements of randomness.

5. How does randomness impact our understanding of the universe?

Randomness is a key concept in the field of quantum mechanics, which studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect, and has led to groundbreaking discoveries in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.