Range of a function without graph

In summary, to determine the range of each function without graphing it, find the inverse and determine its domain. For the function -(y-2)=4x-1, the range is (0, infinity). Similarly, for the function y=3(0.8)-x-5, the range is also (0, infinity).
Brosip

Homework Statement

Determine the range of each function without graphing it

(a) -(y-2)=4x-1

(b) y= 3(0.8)-x - 5

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it may be easy and all, but i was at a doctors appointment when we learned how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head - find the inverse and determine its domaine.

Brosip said:

Homework Statement

Determine the range of each function without graphing it

(a) -(y-2)=4x-1
-y+ 2= 4x- 1
-y= 4x- 1- 2
y= 2- 4x- 1

Now if you know that the range of "ax", for any number a (other that 1 or 0) is (0, infinity), the range of this function should be easy.

(b) y= 3(0.8)-x - 5[/sup]
Same thing.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it may be easy and all, but i was at a doctors appointment when we learned how to do this

What is the range of a function without a graph?

The range of a function without a graph refers to the set of all possible output values of the function. It is the collection of values that the function can produce when different input values are given.

How do you determine the range of a function without a graph?

To determine the range of a function without a graph, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or solving for the output variable. You can also look for patterns and make a table of input and output values to identify the range.

Can the range of a function without a graph be infinite?

Yes, the range of a function without a graph can be infinite if the function has a continuous domain. This means that there are no restrictions on the input values, and the output values can continue indefinitely.

What is the difference between domain and range of a function without a graph?

The domain of a function without a graph refers to the set of all possible input values, while the range refers to the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of independent variables, and the range is the set of dependent variables.

Why is it important to find the range of a function without a graph?

It is important to find the range of a function without a graph because it helps us understand the behavior and limitations of the function. It also allows us to determine the possible outputs for a given set of inputs and can help in solving real-world problems.