Ranking springs in terms of spring constant

In summary: Suppose you have two identical springs with coefficient k. If one is stretched by x it is under tension kx. If I put two in series, what force will I need to pull with to get an extension of k (each)?In summary, the springs in parallel have greater spring constants, then springs by itself and springs in series have the smallest spring constant.
Avalanche

Homework Statement

untitled_zps8b86c45b.jpg

Homework Equations

Hooke's law. F = kΔx
ω = sqrt(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A

F = mg = kΔx
k = mg/Δx

g is a constant so the spring constant is proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the change in distance that the spring stretches

My answer is from smallest to largest spring constant: c < A = B < D

But the answer key says the answer is c < B = D < A

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Avalanche said:
My answer is from smallest to largest spring constant: c < A = B < D
But the answer key says the answer is c < B = D < A
That doesn't really constitute posting your attempt at a solution. You need to explain your reasoning.

haruspex said:
That doesn't really constitute posting your attempt at a solution. You need to explain your reasoning.

Avalanche said:

Homework Statement

F = mg = kΔx
k = mg/Δx

g is a constant so the spring constant is proportional to the mass and inversely proportional to the change in distance that the spring stretches

Greater the mass, greater the spring constant. Longer the spring stretches, smaller the spring constant. Since C stretches by the largest amount and has a mass of only m, the spring constant is the smallest. A and B stretches by the same amount and have the same mass, the spring constants are equal. C has the largest spring constant because it stretches the spring by the same amount of A and B but has a larger mass.

Avalanche said:
Greater the mass, greater the spring constant.
You seem to be equating the attached mass to the tension in the spring. That is not correct. The diagrams are not showing how the spring would be extended if subjected to the weight of the attached mass. For a start, the systems are horizontal, not vertical.
For this part of the question, ignore the masses. The diagrams are merely showing arrangements made by connecting up copies of some standard spring: two in parallel (A), two in series (C), or just one by itself (B, D).

Looking at the answer, I assume springs in parallel have greater spring constants, then springs by itself and springs in series have the smallest spring constant.

Is there a reason for this? Like an equation/relationship?

Avalanche said:
Looking at the answer, I assume springs in parallel have greater spring constants, then springs by itself and springs in series have the smallest spring constant.

Is there a reason for this? Like an equation/relationship?
Suppose you have two identical springs with coefficient k. If one is stretched by x it is under tension kx. If I put two in parallel, what force will I need to pull with to get an extension of k (each)?
Then try the in series case.

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is spring constant measured?

Spring constant is typically measured by hanging a mass from the end of a spring and measuring the amount of stretch or compression. The spring constant is then calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring.

3. What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the number of coils, and the diameter of the spring's wire. The temperature and length of the spring can also affect its stiffness.

4. How does the spring constant impact the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will require more force to change its shape, while a lower spring constant indicates a more flexible spring.

5. How can springs be ranked in terms of spring constant?

Springs can be ranked in terms of spring constant by measuring and comparing their stiffness using the methods mentioned above. The higher the spring constant, the higher the rank on the stiffness scale.