1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of distance between two objects

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object A moves along the positive horizontal axis, and object B along the graph of f(x) =
    -sqrt(3)x for x <= 0. At a certain time, A is at the point (5,0) and moving with the speed 3 units/sec and B is at a distance of 3 units from the origin and moving with speed 4 units/ sec. At what rate is the distance between A and B changing?

2. Relevant equations

line equation

3. The attempt at a solution

don't I only have to draw a line from A to B at that point and take the slope? Probably not, since I;'m given so much information... anybody want to help me out? thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    What are
    [tex] \frac{d A_x}{dt}, \frac{d A_y}{dt}, \frac{d B_x}{dt} \mathrm{and} \frac{d B_y}{dt} [/tex]?
    What is the rate at which the distance changes in terms of these?

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    thank you for the reply, I realized that I will have to have a distance function dependent on A and B... I don't know how to get a distance function.. thank you

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

well Ay/dt and By/dt are given , 3 and 4 units per second right

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    please help, I'm stuck here

7. Nov 16, 2009 #6
    What you are given is the velocity, which is [tex] \left| \frac{d \mathbf{A}}{dt} \right| [/tex].

8. Nov 16, 2009 #7
    okay, I have the following:
    d(t) = distance with respect to time
    d(t)^2 = (xA - xB)^2 + (yA-yB)^2

d(t)^2/dt ...

2d(t)d'(t) = 2 (5 - 3/2)(3-dxB/dt) + 2(0-(-sqrt(3)(3/2)))(0 - dyB/dt)
    so now I solve for dxB/dt and dyB/dt?

thank you

9. Nov 17, 2009 #8
    not sure how to find dxB/dt and dyB/dt.. anybody want to help? thank you

10. Nov 17, 2009 #9
    Use Pythagoras. You know what shape curve you are doing so just start by

[tex] \sqrt{(dx/dt)^2 + f'(x)^2} = 4 [/tex] and from there, solve for [tex]dx/dt.[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook