1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of flow outward through hemisphere

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. Seawater has density 1025 kg/m3 and flows in a velocity field v=yi+xj, where x, y, and z are measured in meters and the components of v in meters per second. Find the rate of flow outward through the hemisphere x2+y2+z2=9, z≥0

2. surface integral of F over S is ∫∫ F • dS

3. I parameterized the surface by making r(∅,∂)=<3sin∂cos∅, 3 sin∂sin∅, 3cos∂>. My vector v is <y, x, 0>. Aside from that, i have no idea where to begin. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To avoid confusion I would suggest you use the standard letters for the spherical coordinate parameterization:

[tex]\vec r(\theta,\phi) = \langle 3\sin\phi\cos\theta,3\sin\phi\sin\theta,3\cos\phi\rangle[/tex]

So your velocity field is

[tex]\vec v = \langle 3\sin\phi\sin\theta,3\sin\phi\cos\theta,0\rangle[/tex]

Use the formula

[tex]\int\int_S \delta\vec v \cdot d\vec S = \int\int_{(\phi,\theta)} \delta\vec v \cdot \vec r_\phi \times \vec r_\theta\ d\phi d\theta[/tex]

for the spherical surface. For the bottom of the hemisphere in the xy plane you may see a shortcut.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook