Solve the 300 Three Ounce Hamburger Patty Math Problem with 20% Shrinkage

• Thread starter jacy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the amount of hamburger needed to make 300 three ounce patties with a 20% shrinkage. The conversation includes different approaches to solving the problem and converting units from ounces to pounds. The final answer is 70.31 pounds of hamburger needed.
jacy
hi,
Can someone help me with this please.

How much hamburger will it take to make 300 three ounce patties with a 20% shrinkage?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If you start with X ounces of hamburger, how many ounces of patties do you end up with?

Doc Al said:
Hint: If you start with X ounces of hamburger, how many ounces of patties do you end up with?

Please help me clear it am not getting it, sorry. Thanks 4 ur help.

If 20% of the original quantity is lost, remaining quantity (in this case 300 3 oz patties) must equal what percentage of the original?

Another approach.. If one patty weighs 3oz after 20% shrinkage (assumed from cooking), how much would a raw patty weigh?
now that you have weight of one raw patty, how much would 300 of those weigh? (if they expect an answer in pounds, don't forget to convert units)

Doc Al said:
If 20% of the original quantity is lost, remaining quantity (in this case 300 3 oz patties) must equal what percentage of the original?

Thanks Doc Al.

Ouabache said:
Another approach.. If one patty weighs 3oz after 20% shrinkage (assumed from cooking), how much would a raw patty weigh?
now that you have weight of one raw patty, how much would 300 of those weigh? (if they expect an answer in pounds, don't forget to convert units)

Thanks quabache,
16 ounces = 1 pound

3 ounce is 80% of 3.75 ounce, so 3.75 ounce = 0.234 pounds.
Therefore, 0.234 pounds * 300 = 70.31 pounds

Am i right, thanks for ur help.

you got it!

1. What is a rate word math problem?

A rate word math problem is a type of math problem that involves calculating a rate or ratio between two quantities. It typically includes a word problem or real-life scenario that requires students to determine the rate of change between the given quantities.

2. How do I solve a rate word math problem?

To solve a rate word math problem, you should first identify the given quantities and their units. Then, use the given information to set up a proportion and solve for the missing quantity. Make sure to pay attention to the units and use proper conversion if necessary.

3. What are some common examples of rate word math problems?

Examples of rate word math problems include calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the cost per unit of a product, or finding the rate of change in a population over time. These problems often involve two quantities that have a direct or indirect relationship.

4. What are some strategies for solving rate word math problems?

One strategy for solving rate word math problems is to use a table to organize the given information and determine the relationship between the quantities. Another strategy is to use a visual representation, such as a bar model, to better understand the problem. It is also helpful to double-check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the given context.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving rate word math problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving rate word math problems is to practice regularly. You can find many practice problems online or in math textbooks. Another helpful tip is to always read the problem carefully and make sure you understand the given information before attempting to solve it.