Ratio of resistance in parallel and series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
mitsuruangel
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two resistors R1 and R2, where R1 > R2, are connected to a voltage source with voltage V. When the resistors are connected in series, the current is Is. When the resistors are connected in parallel, the current from the source is Ip = 8.0Is. What is the ratio R2/R1?
I have played with this and I don't understand how to get it. Any help would be awsome
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi mitsuruangel! Welcome to PF!

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

What formulas are you using for Ip and Is, as a function of V R1 and R2 ? :smile:
 


tiny-tim said:
(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)


I'm not seeing any tags in my view, tiny. Do you see some?
 
Hi berkeman! :wink:

Yes, just above where I'm now typing, on the Reply to Thread page. :smile:
 
Hmm. I see this instead. Wonder what I need to do to see the tags...

Tags
None

How many do you see?
 
ah, you're still on the main page, I'm on the Reply to Thread page (click "QUOTE" or "Go Advanced") :wink: