1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational function hole at (0, 0)?

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    The function is f(x) = 2x / x3 - 6x2 + 3x + 10

I was taught that any rational function with a numerator of smaller degree than the denominator has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0, which would apply in this case.

This makes sense for the end behaviors because as x approaches +/- ∞, y approaches 0. However, when x = 0, there seems to be no problem solving the equation and ending up with y = 0, which should be impossible since there's an asymptote there. Should my domain include x ≠ 0? Why is this? The equation resolves normally when x = 0, I thought you only needed restrictions to prevent dividing by 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. f(x)=0, there is no problem there. But your denominator is zero at some other values of x. Can you find them?

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Well, you're not dividing by zero at x=0, so there is no vertical asymptote at that point. As Dick mentioned, there are vertical asymptotes elsewhere however.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4
    So the horizontal asymptote at y = 0 doesn't restrict that point, where y indeed equals 0? I found the 3 vertical asymptotes, those aren't what are confusing me. I thought an asymptote at y = n meant no points can exist with a y value of n.

6. Oct 21, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. An asymptote at y=n just means that the limit as x->infinity (or -infinity) of y(x) is n, as you said. y(x) can equal n for finite values of x.

7. Oct 21, 2012 #6

Mentallic

Homework Helper

In fact, a function can cut its horizontal asymptotes infinitely many times, such as y = sin(x)/x. Vertical asymptotes can't be cut though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook