Rational function hole at (0, 0)?

In summary, the function f(x) = 2x / x3 - 6x2 + 3x + 10 has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0 due to its end behaviors as x approaches +/- ∞. However, there is no vertical asymptote at x = 0 as the equation resolves normally at that point. The domain should include x ≠ 0 as there are vertical asymptotes at other values of x. An asymptote at y = n does not restrict points where y equals n, but rather describes the limit of the function as x approaches infinity or -infinity. Additionally, a function can cut its horizontal asymptotes multiple times, but vertical asymptotes cannot be cut.
Esoremada
The function is f(x) = 2x / x3 - 6x2 + 3x + 10

I was taught that any rational function with a numerator of smaller degree than the denominator has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0, which would apply in this case.

This makes sense for the end behaviors because as x approaches +/- ∞, y approaches 0. However, when x = 0, there seems to be no problem solving the equation and ending up with y = 0, which should be impossible since there's an asymptote there. Should my domain include x ≠ 0? Why is this? The equation resolves normally when x = 0, I thought you only needed restrictions to prevent dividing by 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Esoremada said:

I was taught that any rational function with a numerator of smaller degree than the denominator has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0, which would apply in this case.

This makes sense for the end behaviors because as x approaches +/- ∞, y approaches 0. However, when x = 0, there seems to be no problem solving the equation and ending up with y = 0, which should be impossible since there's an asymptote there. Should my domain include x ≠ 0? Why is this? The equation resolves normally when x = 0, I thought you only needed restrictions to prevent dividing by 0.

Yes. f(x)=0, there is no problem there. But your denominator is zero at some other values of x. Can you find them?

Esoremada said:

Well, you're not dividing by zero at x=0, so there is no vertical asymptote at that point. As Dick mentioned, there are vertical asymptotes elsewhere however.

So the horizontal asymptote at y = 0 doesn't restrict that point, where y indeed equals 0? I found the 3 vertical asymptotes, those aren't what are confusing me. I thought an asymptote at y = n meant no points can exist with a y value of n.

Esoremada said:
So the horizontal asymptote at y = 0 doesn't restrict that point, where y indeed equals 0? I found the 3 vertical asymptotes, those aren't what are confusing me. I thought an asymptote at y = n meant no points can exist with a y value of n.

No. An asymptote at y=n just means that the limit as x->infinity (or -infinity) of y(x) is n, as you said. y(x) can equal n for finite values of x.

In fact, a function can cut its horizontal asymptotes infinitely many times, such as y = sin(x)/x. Vertical asymptotes can't be cut though.

What is a rational function hole?

A rational function hole is a point on a graph where the function is undefined or has a discontinuity. It is often represented by an open circle on the graph and can occur when the denominator of the function is equal to zero.

Where is the hole located on the graph?

The hole is located at the coordinates (0,0) on the graph. This means that the x-value and the y-value of the hole are both equal to zero.

How is the hole different from other types of discontinuities?

The hole is different from other types of discontinuities, such as vertical asymptotes or point discontinuities, because it can be removed by simplifying the function. This means that the hole can be filled in to create a continuous function.

How do you determine if a function has a hole at (0,0)?

To determine if a function has a hole at (0,0), you can factor the numerator and denominator of the function and then cancel out any common factors. If there is a common factor between the numerator and denominator, then there is a hole at (0,0).

How do you fill in a hole at (0,0) to create a continuous function?

To fill in a hole at (0,0) and create a continuous function, you can simplify the function by canceling out any common factors between the numerator and denominator. This will remove the discontinuity and create a function with a defined value at (0,0).