Rationalize denominator & factorising quadratic equations.

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions, one involving multiplying the conjugate of a denominator and the other involving solving a quadratic equation. The first question requires careful attention to signs and the use of a simple multiplication rule. The second question cannot be solved using this rule due to the coefficient of the ##x^2## term, and instead requires expanding brackets and solving for the values of ##a## and ##b##.
Meezus

Homework Statement

vEcK1j2.jpg

Homework Equations

Not Sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question I know you have to multiply the conjugate of the denominator so it would be (2 - √5)/(1−2√5) x (1−2√5)/(1−2√5) but I'm not sure how to actually do that.

For the second question. I have that -3 x 2 = -6 and -3 + 2 = -1 which fits the sum. I think this is correct.

for this second part of the second question, I'm not sure how to solve this as I don't see any factors of -6 which when added together = 11. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Meezus said:
For the first question I know you have to multiply the conjugate of the denominator so it would be (2 - √5)/(1−2√5) x (1−2√5)/(1−2√5) but I'm not sure how to actually do that.
The first thing you need to do is to be very careful to get your signs right, which is not happening in the bit I quoted. Where has the 1+2√5 disappeared to?
Next, when multiplying the first fraction by ##\frac{1-2\sqrt{5}}{1-2\sqrt{5}}##, just make the result a new fraction in which the numerator is the product of the numerators and the denominator is the product of the denominators. You know: $$\frac{a}{b}\times\frac{c}{d}=\frac{a\times c}{b\times d}$$.

Meezus said:
for this second part of the second question, I'm not sure how to solve this as I don't see any factors of -6 which when added together = 11.
You won't be able to use that simple rule, because the ##x^2## has a coefficient other than 1.

Instead set ##(2x+a)(x+b)## equal to the quadratic. Expand the brackets and then work out what ##a## and ##b## have to be to make the equation true for every possible value of ##x##.

1. What is the purpose of rationalizing the denominator in an equation?

The purpose of rationalizing the denominator is to remove any radical expressions from the denominator of a fraction. This allows for easier simplification and calculation of the fraction.

2. How do you rationalize the denominator of an equation?

To rationalize the denominator, you multiply both the numerator and denominator by a suitable expression that will eliminate the radical. This is typically done by multiplying by the conjugate of the radical expression in the denominator.

3. Why is factoring quadratic equations important?

Factoring quadratic equations is important because it allows us to solve for the values of a variable in the equation. It can also help us identify and graph the roots of the equation, which can provide important information about the behavior of the equation.

4. What is the difference between rationalizing the denominator and factoring a quadratic equation?

Rationalizing the denominator is a process used specifically for fractions with radicals in the denominator, while factoring a quadratic equation is a method used to solve equations with variables raised to the second power. Rationalizing the denominator involves multiplying by the conjugate of the radical expression, while factoring involves finding the two binomials that multiply together to create the original quadratic equation.

5. Can you provide an example of rationalizing the denominator and factoring a quadratic equation?

Example of rationalizing the denominator: Rationalize the fraction 1/(√2) by multiplying by the conjugate of √2, which is also √2. This gives us (1*√2)/(√2*√2) = √2/2, which is now a simplified fraction without a radical in the denominator.

Example of factoring a quadratic equation: Factor the equation x^2 + 5x + 6 = 0. We can see that the two binomials that multiply to give us x^2 + 5x + 6 are (x + 3)(x + 2). Therefore, the factored form of the equation is (x + 3)(x + 2) = 0. This allows us to solve for the values of x, which are -3 and -2 in this case.