Rationalizing a denominator involving the sum of 3 cube roots

In summary: I was trying to simplify it a little bit more than that...In summary, the problem is that the denominator of the fraction is not rational.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi members of the forum,

Problem:

Rationalize the denominator of $\displaystyle \frac{1}{a^\frac{1}{3}+b^{\frac{1}{3}}+c^{\frac{1}{3}}}.$

I know that if we are asked to rationalize, say, something like $\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+2^{\frac{1}{3}}}$, what we could do is the following:

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+2^{\frac{1}{3}}}=\frac{1}{1+2^{\frac{1}{3}}}.\frac{1-2^{\frac{1}{3}}+2^{\frac{2}{3}}}{1-2^{\frac{1}{3}}+2^{\frac{2}{3}}}$

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+2^{\frac{1}{3}}}=\frac{1-2^{\frac{1}{3}}+2^{\frac{2}{3}}}{1-2^{\frac{1}{3}}+2^{\frac{2}{3}}+2^{\frac{1}{3}}-2^{\frac{2}{3}}+2}$

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+2^{\frac{1}{3}}}=\frac{1-2^{\frac{1}{3}}+2^{\frac{1}{3}}}{1+2}$

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+2^{\frac{1}{3}}}=\frac{1-2^{\frac{1}{3}}+2^{\frac{1}{3}}}{3}$

But this one seems like not to be the case with the problem that I am asking on this thread...

Could anyone give me some hints to tackle it?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Hi members of the forum,Rationalize the denominator of $\displaystyle \frac{1}{a^\frac{1}{3}+b^{\frac{1}{3}}+c^{\frac{1}{3}}}.$

We can use the equality
$$(x + y + z)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - xy - xz - yz) = x^3 + y^3 + z^3 - 3xyz$$
If $x=\sqrt[3]{a},y=\sqrt[3]{b},z=\sqrt[3]{c}$ and we multiply numerator and denominator by $x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - xy - xz - yz$ we get in the denominator $a+b+c-3\sqrt[3]{abc}$. Now, is easier to rationalize.

Fernando Revilla said:
We can use the equality
$$(x + y + z)(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - xy - xz - yz) = x^3 + y^3 + z^3 - 3xyz$$
If $x=\sqrt[3]{a},y=\sqrt[3]{b},z=\sqrt[3]{c}$ and we multiply numerator and denominator by $x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - xy - xz - yz$ we get in the denominator $a+b+c-3\sqrt[3]{abc}$. Now, is easier to rationalize.

Thanks, Fernando Revilla! While I am so happy to receive your help in such a short period of time, I can see it now that what you suggested to me is basically using the same principle that I used to tackle the example that I cited above, it's such a shame of me for not thinking harder before posting...(Headbang)

Guess that when I get stuck, the only place that I could think of (instead of keep plugging away) is MHB!:p

Many times the solution seems obvious...but only after it has been shown to us.(Nod)

And your posting has given others useful information...I wouldn't have known how to rationalize that denominator without furrowing my brows and committing pen to paper...(Yes)

Suppose you multiply numerator and denominator both with $a^3b^3c^3$.
Wouldn't that rationalize both your numerator and your denominator?

ILikeSerena said:
Suppose you multiply numerator and denominator both with $a^3b^3c^3$.
Wouldn't that rationalize both your numerator and your denominator?

The denominator would then be:

$\displaystyle a^{\frac{10}{3}}b^3c^3+a^3b^{\frac{10}{3}}c^3+a^3b^3c^{\frac{10}{3}}$

MarkFL said:
The denominator would then be:

$\displaystyle a^{\frac{10}{3}}b^3c^3+a^3b^{\frac{10}{3}}c^3+a^3b^3c^{\frac{10}{3}}$

Oops! (Blush)

What does it mean to "rationalize a denominator involving the sum of 3 cube roots"?

Rationalizing a denominator means to manipulate the expression so that the denominator becomes a rational number (in the form of a fraction) rather than containing irrational numbers. In this case, we are specifically dealing with the sum of three cube roots, which are irrational numbers.

Why is it important to rationalize a denominator involving the sum of 3 cube roots?

Rationalizing the denominator can make the expression easier to work with and can also help us to find exact solutions rather than approximations. It can also make the expression more aesthetically pleasing and easier to understand.

How do I rationalize a denominator involving the sum of 3 cube roots?

To rationalize a denominator involving the sum of 3 cube roots, we can use the conjugate method. This involves multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, which is found by changing the sign between the terms. For example, if the denominator is a + b∛c, the conjugate would be a - b∛c.

Can I use any other method to rationalize a denominator involving the sum of 3 cube roots?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a special identity or simplifying the expression using algebraic techniques. However, the conjugate method is the most commonly used and straightforward method.

Are there any special cases to consider when rationalizing a denominator involving the sum of 3 cube roots?

Yes, if the expression involves a cube root of a negative number, we must first simplify the cube root using complex numbers before rationalizing the denominator. Additionally, if the sum of the cube roots can be simplified, we should do so before using the conjugate method.