Understanding RC Band Pass Filter Graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of RC band pass filters and specifically focuses on the graph of voltage vs frequency. The graph shows that a pass band filter only allows a certain band of frequencies to pass through, with no response at lower and higher frequencies. This type of filter can be made using just resistors and capacitors and more information can be found online using the terms from the original post.
Sheldon11
I want to know about RC band pass filter ! more specifically details about the graph of voltage vs frequency..
maxresdefault.jpg

how the curves goes up and why the curve goes down? I don't understand ...
please help me out

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,053
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A "Pass Band" filter passes one band of frequencies. The graph you posted shows the features of all such filters. No response at low frequencies - an ideally flat response over its pass band - no response at higher frequencies. That is what "Pass Band Filter" means. It can be regarded as a high pass and a low pass filter, combined. They can be made with design which uses just Rs and Cs. https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_4.html and then google using the terms in the title of your OP.

Likes Sheldon11 and berkeman

1. What is an RC band pass filter?

An RC band pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows a specific range of frequencies to pass through while attenuating other frequencies. It consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel.

2. How does an RC band pass filter work?

An RC band pass filter works by using the capacitance and resistance values to create a voltage divider. This voltage divider creates a frequency-dependent impedance, allowing only certain frequencies to pass through while attenuating others.

3. How do I interpret the graph of an RC band pass filter?

The graph of an RC band pass filter shows the frequency response of the circuit. The x-axis represents frequency, and the y-axis represents the gain or attenuation of the filter. The peak on the graph represents the center frequency at which the filter has the highest gain.

4. What factors affect the performance of an RC band pass filter?

The performance of an RC band pass filter is affected by the values of the resistor and capacitor used, as well as the frequency range of interest. The quality factor (Q) of the filter also plays a significant role in determining its performance.

5. How can I calculate the cutoff frequency of an RC band pass filter?

The cutoff frequency of an RC band pass filter can be calculated using the formula fc = 1/(2πRC), where fc is the cutoff frequency, R is the resistance value, and C is the capacitance value. This formula assumes that the filter is designed as a second-order Butterworth filter.