1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[rcl circuits] is this a contradiction?

1. Sep 20, 2014 #1
    Problem: upload_2014-9-20_13-52-45.png

Attempt:
    Ud54l8w.jpg
    But here is what happens when I apply nodal analysis to the same node at t>0:
    GH3utpO.jpg

Is this a contradiction? Is the voltage of the resistor at t=0+ equal to 16V or 0V?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2014 #2
    I think I figured it out. At ##t=0^-##, the capacitors are replaced with open circuits and the inductors are replaced with wires but this does not apply at ##t=0^+##.

4. Sep 20, 2014 #3
    When t<0, an inductor acts as a short circuit and a capacitor acts as an open circuit. At the instant t=0+, the circuit goes through a transient phase. Once t>>0, the circuit becomes steady state and once again the inductor acts as a short and the capacitor as an open.

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4
    Thank you for this. Argh, I wish my textbook explained this to me. Why does the inductor and capacitor act as closed/open circuits in the steady state but not in the transient phase?

6. Sep 21, 2014 #5
    Basically an inductor goes from some high voltage to 0, which would cause all the current to flow through it (which is a short) when time goes to infinity. I'm not sure if you've seen the graphs of these, but that should help you, so I'd say look it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted