Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re-Learning Algebra

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone, I would like to ask if someone could point me to a good book, that I could use to relearn algebra. I am though, not looking for a regular textbook (like in schools where you learn the formula), but would love something that would teach me the theory behind all the algebraic rules.

Also, after mastering (quite a broad term I assume) basic algebra, would moving on to linear algebra be better or differential algebra? Or is there something I should master before them as well.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What type of "Algebra" do you mean? If you mean the generalized Arithmetic Algebra of high school's ninth grade, then you could find almost any introductory or elementary Algebra beginning book and study straight through the whole thing. If you studied it before, then it should be easy to study again and learn it very well.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    Hi there, I guess I did not specify clearly what I was interested in (my apologies). I would like to know what usually is the beginner/intermediate level algebra taught in university. I know that they do not start from the basics, and that I already know very well. But I am wondering if there is anything in between high school algebra and say linear/differential algebra?

Also on a side note, I was wondering if anyone here knows what mathematics (advanced algebra or calculus or combo) is currently being used to model biological cell systems, specifically transposons? Thank you for the information.

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4
    the only thing I can think of is stuff like groups, rings & fields, & being a standard subject there are a ton of books out there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook