Re-Learning Algebra: Find the Right Book & Master Rules

• Thread starter thE3nigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, a person is seeking recommendations for a book to relearn algebra with a focus on theory rather than formulas. They also ask for advice on whether to move on to linear algebra or differential algebra after mastering basic algebra. They clarify that they are looking for the beginner/intermediate level of algebra taught in university, and inquire about mathematics used in modeling biological cell systems. The conversation also mentions the topics of groups, rings, and fields as possible in-between subjects.
thE3nigma
Hello everyone, I would like to ask if someone could point me to a good book, that I could use to relearn algebra. I am though, not looking for a regular textbook (like in schools where you learn the formula), but would love something that would teach me the theory behind all the algebraic rules.

Also, after mastering (quite a broad term I assume) basic algebra, would moving on to linear algebra be better or differential algebra? Or is there something I should master before them as well.

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What type of "Algebra" do you mean? If you mean the generalized Arithmetic Algebra of high school's ninth grade, then you could find almost any introductory or elementary Algebra beginning book and study straight through the whole thing. If you studied it before, then it should be easy to study again and learn it very well.

Hi there, I guess I did not specify clearly what I was interested in (my apologies). I would like to know what usually is the beginner/intermediate level algebra taught in university. I know that they do not start from the basics, and that I already know very well. But I am wondering if there is anything in between high school algebra and say linear/differential algebra?

Also on a side note, I was wondering if anyone here knows what mathematics (advanced algebra or calculus or combo) is currently being used to model biological cell systems, specifically transposons? Thank you for the information.

thE3nigma said:
Hi there, I guess I did not specify clearly what I was interested in (my apologies). I would like to know what usually is the beginner/intermediate level algebra taught in university. I know that they do not start from the basics, and that I already know very well. But I am wondering if there is anything in between high school algebra and say linear/differential algebra?

the only thing I can think of is stuff like groups, rings & fields, & being a standard subject there are a ton of books out there.

What is the best way to find the right book for re-learning algebra?

The best way to find the right book for re-learning algebra is to first assess your current knowledge and skill level. This will help you determine what level of book you need, whether it be a beginner's guide or an advanced textbook. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from other students or teachers to find the most effective and comprehensive book for your needs.

What are the most important rules to master when re-learning algebra?

The most important rules to master when re-learning algebra include the order of operations, properties of numbers, solving equations, and factoring. These fundamental rules form the basis of algebra and are necessary for understanding more complex concepts. It is also important to practice regularly and review these rules to ensure a strong foundation.

How can I make the process of re-learning algebra less daunting?

One way to make the process of re-learning algebra less daunting is to break it down into smaller, manageable chunks. Instead of trying to tackle the entire subject at once, focus on one concept or rule at a time. This will help you better understand and retain the information. Additionally, seek out resources such as online tutorials or study groups to make the learning process more interactive and engaging.

Is it necessary to start from the beginning when re-learning algebra?

No, it is not necessary to start from the beginning when re-learning algebra. If you have some prior knowledge of algebra, you can skip over the basics and focus on the areas where you need the most improvement. However, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental rules before moving on to more complex topics.

How can I apply what I have learned from re-learning algebra to real-life situations?

Algebra is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating expenses, understanding interest rates, and solving problems in various fields such as science, finance, and engineering. By re-learning algebra and mastering its rules, you can improve your critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, which can be applied to everyday situations and future academic or career pursuits.