Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re-naming Physics

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    I'm new here by the way :)

What's the funniest name you can come up with for "Statistical Mechanics"? The name sounds boring, we need to find one that matches the great subject!

For example, "Partition Magic" or "Thermodynamics 2.0" :D

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2
    How about"excrutiatingly tedious stuff which has something to do with numbers or things"?

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3
    "what's the chances this'll work 101"

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4
    Chuck it in there.Seriously though its a nice subject,I have just forgotten it.On second thoughts I never knew it. What is it?I cant even spell it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  6. Feb 13, 2009 #5
    How about "on the consequences of the central limit theorem for non-quantum slow dynamics" ?

Seriously though, imagine for a second that during decades, you've been doing classical mechanics in the morning, and statistics in the afternoon. For you, those two activities are completely unrelated, but it so happens that you are quite familiar with them. Well, I am quite sure you would be excited to discover something called "statistical mechanics". And BTW, it is quite an appropriate name.

7. Feb 13, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I loved statistical mechanics...it rocks!! And it's a great name too. Who cares if no one outside of physics knows it's thermo....shhh, it's our little secret!

8. Feb 13, 2009 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't like Thermo but loved stat mech :confused:. I don't know if I could come up with a new name for it though.

9. Feb 13, 2009 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

New name suggestion:

Statistical Mechanics -> Orgiastics (the study of many weakly/strongly interacting bodies)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook