Rewriting the Multi-Sum Equation: Simplifying f(x)=1+R(x)

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation in the form of f(x)=\sum_{r=m}^{M_B}\,\sum_{i=0}^{M_B-r}\,\sum_{j=0}^{r+i}\,\sum_{k=0}^{j(N_B-1)}(-1)^{i+j}{M_B\choose r}{M_B-r\choose i}{r+i\choose j}\left(\frac{x}{C}\right)^k\,e^{jx/C} and the desire to write it in the form of f(x)=1+R(x). The limits for the summations are also mentioned, with m being any number from 1 to M_B and f(x)=
EngWiPy
Hello,

I have the following equation:

[tex]f(x)=\sum_{r=m}^{M_B}\,\sum_{i=0}^{M_B-r}\,\sum_{j=0}^{r+i}\,\sum_{k=0}^{j(N_B-1)}(-1)^{i+j}{M_B\choose r}{M_B-r\choose i}{r+i\choose j}\left(\frac{x}{C}\right)^k\,e^{jx/C}[/tex]

and I want to write it in the form of [tex]f(x)=1+R(x)[/tex]

[tex]m[/tex] will be any number from 1 up to [tex]M_B[/tex], and [tex]f(x)=1-e^{x/C}[/tex] for [tex]M_B=N_B=1[/tex].

Can anyone help me, please? Because I am not sure about the limits when extracting some values of them.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]f(x)=1+\sum_{r=m}^{M_B-1}\,\sum_{i=1}^{M_B-r}\,\sum_{j=1}^{r+i}\,\sum_{k=1}^{j(N_B-1)}(-1)^{i+j}{M_B\choose r}{M_B-r\choose i}{r+i\choose j}\left(\frac{x}{C}\right)^k\,e^{jx/C}[/tex].

MathematicalPhysicist said:
[tex]f(x)=1+\sum_{r=m}^{M_B-1}\,\sum_{i=1}^{M_B-r}\,\sum_{j=1}^{r+i}\,\sum_{k=1}^{j(N_B-1)}(-1)^{i+j}{M_B\choose r}{M_B-r\choose i}{r+i\choose j}\left(\frac{x}{C}\right)^k\,e^{jx/C}[/tex].

But this doesn't give us [tex]f(x)=1-e^{x/C}[/tex] for [tex]M_B=N_B=1[/tex]. And we have the problem for the last summation where the limits will be 1 to 0, how to handle this problem?

Where are the mathematician? I really need this one. Please help if you can.

Related to Rewriting the Multi-Sum Equation: Simplifying f(x)=1+R(x)

1. What does the equation f(x)=1+R(x) represent?

The equation f(x)=1+R(x) represents a function where the output (f(x)) is equal to the sum of 1 and the input (R(x)). It can also be interpreted as a linear function with a slope of 1 and a y-intercept of 1.

2. How do you rewrite the equation f(x)=1+R(x) in slope-intercept form?

To rewrite the equation f(x)=1+R(x) in slope-intercept form, you would subtract 1 from both sides to isolate R(x), giving you R(x)=f(x)-1. This can then be rewritten as y=f(x)-1, where y=R(x). The slope-intercept form is y=mx+b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. Therefore, the slope of f(x)=1+R(x) is 1 and the y-intercept is -1.

3. Is f(x)=1+R(x) a one-to-one function?

Yes, f(x)=1+R(x) is a one-to-one function. This means that for every unique input (x), there is only one unique output (f(x)). This can be seen by the fact that the equation only has one term for the input (R(x)) and one term for the constant (1), making it impossible for two different inputs to result in the same output.

4. Can the equation f(x)=1+R(x) be graphed?

Yes, the equation f(x)=1+R(x) can be graphed. Since it represents a linear function, it will result in a straight line when graphed. The slope of the line will be 1 and the y-intercept will be at -1. By choosing different values for the input (x), you can plot points and connect them with a line to graph the function.

5. How can f(x)=1+R(x) be used in real-world applications?

The equation f(x)=1+R(x) can be used in various real-world applications. It can represent a function where the output is equal to a starting value (1) plus a rate of change (R(x)). This can be useful in financial situations, such as calculating interest earned over time, or in physics, such as calculating the position of an object with a constant velocity. It can also be used to model simple relationships between two variables in various fields of science, such as biology or chemistry.