1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reaction mechanism

1. Mar 28, 2004 #1
    Hi, I need help with the following question:

What are mechanisms of reactions that lead to the production of ground level ozone

the chemical reaction is

sunlight + VOCs + NOx -> Smog and Ozone

can someone tell me waht the mechanism is or how to develope the mechanism

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2004 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might be listed under the environmental chemistry section in a standard principles of chemistry book (e.g. chemistry by raymond chang).

4. Mar 28, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a chain reaction set off by free radicals.. I'd have to look up the details, that is all that I remember :)

5. Mar 28, 2004 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is a little more info, it confirms my suspicion:

"In the upper atmosphere free radicals are produced through dissociation of the source molecules, particularly the normally unreactive chlorofluorocarbons by solar ultraviolet radiation or by reactions with other stratospheric constituents. These free radicals then react with ozone in a catalytic chain reaction which destroys the ozone, but regenerates the free radical, allowing it to participate in additional reactions. Such reactions are believed to be the primary cause of depletion of the ozone layer and are the reason why the use of chlorofluorocarbons as refridgerants has been restricted."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?