Is there a better way to estimate chances of admission to a PhD program?

In summary: I attended a graduate program at Rutgers, and while my adviser was great, the program had a really low acceptance rate. I ended up getting into a program at UC San Diego even though I was accepted to Rutgers.
bjnartowt
Hi all, I'm wondering how to gauge the chances i have of making it into a PhD program.

First approximation: took ratio of accepted students to number of students who applied.

But: that produced a 116/487 = 24% chance of being admitted to U-Cal San Diego, verses a 45/260 = 18% chance of being admitted to Rutgers. I hear Rutgers is less competitive than San Diego.

Suggestions on other ways to improve this first approximation of "chances of successfully-being-admitted"? Perhaps other factors need to enter into some sort of linear combination? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try to compare your own qualifications to the resumes of current graduate students. Or ask your references about your chances :)

Be careful with overall admission statistics because many programs have a huge discrepancy between their admission standards for domestic and international students. I have only heard this about math (my own field) but I am confident that it applies to physics as well. I remember one professor announcing at a grad school info session at a national conference, "If you score at the 90th percentile of the math subject GRE, you are better than most of our American applicants and worse than any of the Chinese."

Ha ha...

But I wonder: what would my advisers know that the APS book wouldn't? For instance, I am wondering if I can get into Rutgers. But their condensed matter physics is said to be like top 20.

They might have guided several generations of students through the graduate admission process and observed patterns which students are accepted or rejected. They also know the content of their own letters, which will likely make or break your application :)

bjnartowt said:
Suggestions on other ways to improve this first approximation of "chances of successfully-being-admitted"? Perhaps other factors need to enter into some sort of linear combination? :)

I would suggest not doing this at all. It won't improve your chances, nor will it help you sleep at night. There is too much of a random factor (as well as how you come across in interviews) to be able to make even an educated guess at something like this. :smile:

The other thing that makes thing misleading is that the quality of the admissions can vary wildly from school to school. What gives you a better gauge of your odds of admission is to look at the median GRE physics score and then compare it to what you get.

Also, I'd strong suggest that you apply to several schools, and not to have your heart set on one particular school.

1. What is the purpose of reading admission statistics?

Reading admission statistics is used to provide insights and information about the acceptance rates, average test scores, and other important metrics for a particular educational institution. This can help prospective students make informed decisions about where to apply, as well as provide current students with a better understanding of their chances of admission.

2. How reliable are reading admission statistics?

While reading admission statistics can provide useful information, it is important to keep in mind that they are not the only factor in the admissions process. Admissions decisions are also based on other factors such as essays, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities. Additionally, admissions statistics may vary year to year and can be influenced by a variety of factors, so they should be used as a general guide rather than a definitive measure of admission chances.

3. Can reading admission statistics predict my chances of admission?

Reading admission statistics can give you a general idea of your chances of admission, but they cannot predict the outcome of your individual application. Every applicant is unique and there are many factors that go into admissions decisions. It is important to focus on presenting your best self in your application rather than relying solely on statistics.

4. Are reading admission statistics available for all schools?

Reading admission statistics are typically available for most colleges and universities, but they may not be publicly accessible for all schools. Some institutions may only release this information to current students or upon request. It is best to check the school's website or contact their admissions office for more information.

5. How can I use reading admission statistics to improve my chances of admission?

Reading admission statistics can be a helpful tool in understanding the competitiveness of a school and identifying areas where you may need to improve in your application. However, it is important to remember that admissions decisions are based on a holistic review of an applicant, so focusing solely on statistics may not be the most effective approach. Instead, use the information to set realistic goals and work on strengthening your overall application.