1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading current through a capacitor

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    I am working on an experiment involving Langmuir probes. I believe the probes act as capacitors when placed in a plasma to get a reading of the current density in the plasma. However, since we are biasing a voltage, I know that in order to read the current we must insert a resistor between the probes and the ammeter. How should this resistor be placed, in series or in parallel?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't need a resistor if you are using an ammeter. The only time is you need a resistor in series is if you want to use a VOLTMETER to read a current (in which case you get the current from I=U/R).
    But maybe I missunderstood the question? There could be other reasons for putting a resistor in series (e.g. current limiting) but that has nothing to do with the ammeter.

4. May 16, 2009 #3
    Yes, I apologize, I understand the ammeter already has internal resistors to measure the current. I plan to run this through a DAQ which requires a resistor to measure the current sent to the computer (the program I'm using asks for a resistance value since the DAQs are configured to measure potential), and I wasn't sure if I should have the resistor in series with or parallel to the probes.

5. Jun 25, 2009 #4
    Totally out of my field but I think at least with the double probe it is biased between the 2 electrodes and current across or through the sensor is measured. The bias voltage is varied to extract specific current v.s. voltage anomalies. Can be thought of as a source/measure device. The plasma is the current sense "resistor" albeit very non-linear but that's what your looking for right ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook