1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading material for Physics Undergrad Student

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'll be starting a physics major in the fall at university.
    I was wondering, is there any good reading material I can get my hands on so I can start learning now?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2
    The Feynman Lectures on Physics
    Old editions of Halliday & Resnick, Physics
    French, Newtonian Mechanics

4. Jul 21, 2010 #3
    If you have a good handle on Calculus no other introduction to physics will be as challenging and rewarding as "Fundamental University Physics by Alonso Finn". There's an updated and watered down version that squeezes the original three volumes into one book, which totally sacrifices depth for brevity. So I suggest you find the original versions.

Fundamental University Physics, Vol. I - Mechanics
    Fundamental University Physics, Vol. II - Fields and Waves
    Fundamental University Physics, Vol. III - Quantum and Statistical Physics

5. Oct 10, 2010 #4
    hi..i am in second year of BSc(physics honors). i wanted your help. plz suggest me some good reading material to understand thoroughly. waiting for your earliest reply..

6. Oct 10, 2010 #5
    "Spacetime Physics" was a great book about Special Relativity.

7. Oct 10, 2010 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Oct 11, 2010 #7
    The Quantum Frontier, by Don Lincoln

Great book about Particle Physics, the research frontier and the Large Hadron Collider!

...and of course, the Feynman Lectures on Physics.

9. Oct 12, 2010 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  10. Oct 12, 2010 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  11. Oct 12, 2010 #10
    well, thank you for your valuable suggestions. But i want to know on mechanics and differential calculus as required by an undergraduate student.
    also, i am from India, have you ever heard of some Indian author book in physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook