1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis problem (easy), Triangle inequality

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

> a[1], a[2], a[3], .. , a[n] are arbitrary real numbers, prove that;

abs(sum(a, i = 1 .. n)) <= sum(abs(a), i = 1 .. n)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have uploaded my attempt as a pdf file, since I'm not too familiar with the practice of writing it with correct notation on this great site :) i apologize. I am a 17-year old HS student, so i apologize if my attempt is way off or seems a bit thick .. This analysis is all new to me :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    You have the right approach, but be a little careful about your logic. You're using "OK, I want to prove statement A. But statement A implies statement B. Statement B is true, so statement statement A is true. " This is bad logic; let's say I want to prove 1=0. I add 5 to both sides to get 6=5 and I multiply both sides by 0 to get 0=0. This is true so 6=5! See what I mean? xP But it is kinda easy to do that--especially in these cases. xP

Anyway, in your case what you want to do is prove that it's true for n=1. (It's obviously true. o.o) Then, assume it's true for n=k. Add [itex]|a_{k+1}|[/itex] to both sides and use the triangle inequality on the left. Hence, the inequality is true for all natural numbers.

Remember, induction is proving that IF n=k is true, THEN n=k+1 is true, which is what I did above. (Proving that n=1 is true, of course. xD)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook