Real Analysis: Proving f is a Constant Function

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if a function f on the real line satisfies the condition |f(x)-f(y)|<=|x-y|^2 for all x,y in R, then f must be a constant function. The conversation suggests using proof by contradiction and considering the magnitude of the derivative as x approaches y. Another approach mentioned is splitting the interval between x and y into smaller parts and analyzing the inequality as the number of parts approaches infinity. A potential proof is also provided using the definition of continuity and the mean value theorem.
mglaros

Homework Statement

Let f be any function on the real line and suppose that: |f(x)-f(y)|<=|x-y|^2 for all x,y in R. Prove that f is a constant function. Note: "<=" reads "less than or equal to"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried proof by contradiction, it seems to be the most obvious route in proving this statement. I started by assuming that there exists x,y in the domain of the function f(x) such that f(x) is not equal to f(y). I wasn't really able to proceed much further from there. Any help towards finishing this proof or perhaps a different approach would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you use derivatves?

what is the magnitude of the derivative as x->y?

lanedance said:
can you use derivatves?
what is the magnitude of the derivative as x->y?
It's not given that the function is even continuous, let alone differentiable, so we can't assume that f' exists.

Mark44 said:
It's not given that the function is even continuous, let alone differentiable, so we can't assume that f' exists.

You could try and prove f' exists. Or you could try and split the interval between x and y into 2^n parts and see what the inequality tells you as n->infinity.

fair bump, I thought uniform continuity & differentiablilty would follow reasonably easy from the definition, though i do like Dick's 2nd suggestion

Last edited:
Spliting the interval into n equal parts should suffice.

How's this?

Let [itex]0<|x-a|<\mathrm{min}(1,\varepsilon)[/itex]. From this, we have that [itex]0\leq|f(x)-f(a)|\leq|x-a|^2<|x-a|<\varepsilon[/itex]. This proves that [itex]f[/itex] is continuous.

From the defining property of [itex]f[/itex], we know that,

[tex]\frac{|f(x)-f(a)|}{|x-a|} \leq |x-a|[/tex]

Since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous, evaluating the limit as [itex]x \to a[/itex], we find that [itex]f'(a) = 0[/itex] which proves that [itex]f[/itex] is a constant function.

I realize this is really rough, but could this approach be used to prove the initial problem? It's real late nowso I'm sure that it's riddled with errors.

Well yes for this you can show by definition that |f'(a)| = 0 for every a due to mean value theorem. You can run into troubles if you tried applying this to say, finding isometries on R. Obviously you only need to show differentiability, but anytime you see |f(x)-f(y)| bounded by something involving |x-y|, it's going to be continuous.

I think your proof is fine. I remember doing this problem last year and I think that's basically the solution I used; there may have been some subtlety I overlooked, but I don' think so.

1. What is real analysis?

Real analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the use of mathematical proofs to establish theorems and the application of these theorems to solve problems in various fields, such as calculus and differential equations.

2. What does it mean for a function to be constant?

A function is considered constant if its output or value remains the same regardless of the input or independent variable. In other words, the function does not change or vary with respect to the input.

3. How do you prove that a function is constant?

To prove that a function is constant, you need to show that its output remains the same for all possible inputs. This can be done by using mathematical techniques, such as the epsilon-delta proof or the method of contradiction, to show that the function cannot possibly have any other values besides the constant value.

4. Why is proving a function to be constant important in real analysis?

In real analysis, proving that a function is constant can help establish important properties that are essential in understanding the behavior of functions. For example, constant functions have a constant rate of change, making them useful in modeling real-world phenomena.

5. Can any function be proven to be constant?

No, not all functions can be proven to be constant. There are certain conditions that a function must satisfy in order to be proven to be constant, such as being continuous and having a constant rate of change. Additionally, some functions are inherently non-constant, such as trigonometric functions or polynomial functions with multiple terms.