Real Fresnel diffraction experiment

In summary, the individual is interested in performing an experiment to observe Fresnel diffraction using a rectangular aperture and visible light. They are unsure of the necessary dimensions for the aperture and the ideal distance for observing a diffraction pattern. They have researched Franhouffer diffraction and learned that the aperture dimensions should be similar to the wavelength of the light. This may make the experiment difficult as the wavelength of visible light is very small.
kent davidge
I'm wondering if I can perform an actual experiment to observe Fresnel diffraction. I would like to do it with a rectangular aperture and of course, visible light.

What should its dimensions be? And from which distance from it can I expect to start seeing a decent diffraction pattern?

I know I could figure the answers to these questions myself, by learning the theory, but that would take me more time than necessary, since for the moment I really want to just perform the experiment.

Science news on Phys.org
I have been reading up on Franhouffer diffraction, and learned that the dimensions of the aperture in that case must be more or less of same order as the wavelength of the light.

If that carries over to Fresnel diffraction, then I suspect this experiment will be hard to carry out, since the wavelength of visible light is ##\sim 10^{-7}##.

1. What is the purpose of a real Fresnel diffraction experiment?

The purpose of a real Fresnel diffraction experiment is to study the diffraction pattern produced when a light wave passes through an aperture or around an object. This can provide insights into the behavior of light and its interactions with different materials.

2. How is a real Fresnel diffraction experiment different from a Fraunhofer diffraction experiment?

Unlike a Fraunhofer diffraction experiment, which assumes that the light source is at an infinite distance from the diffracting object, a real Fresnel diffraction experiment takes into account the finite distance between the light source and the diffracting object. This results in a more complex diffraction pattern with both near and far field components.

3. What are the key components needed for a real Fresnel diffraction experiment?

The key components needed for a real Fresnel diffraction experiment include a coherent light source, an aperture or object to diffract the light, and a screen or detector to capture the diffraction pattern. Additional components such as lenses or mirrors may also be used to manipulate the light before or after it passes through the diffracting object.

4. How can a real Fresnel diffraction experiment be used in practical applications?

Real Fresnel diffraction experiments have a wide range of practical applications, including in microscopy, astronomy, and optical data storage. They can also be used to study the properties of various materials, such as their refractive index and surface roughness.

5. What are the limitations of a real Fresnel diffraction experiment?

One limitation of a real Fresnel diffraction experiment is that it is only accurate for small apertures or objects and for light sources with a narrow wavelength range. Additionally, the complexity of the diffraction pattern can make it difficult to interpret and analyze the results. Careful experimental design and data analysis techniques are necessary to overcome these limitations.