Real life elastic collision and variation of kinetic energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
velvetmist
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
How small should ##\Delta T## be in a collision to be considered elastic? In elastic collisions ##\Delta T =0##, but as far as I know, just atomic collisions are considered perfectly elastic. Then, which criterias are used to considere a collision between two objects elastic?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It should be small enough that you don't care about the error from ignoring it for whatever your application is.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: velvetmist
Ibix said:
It should be small enough that you don't care about the error from ignoring it for whatever your application is.
I don't have any specific application. I was thinking in taking the percentage of ##\Delta T## from ##T_i##, and if it's ##<10\%## it's acceptable, but I'm not sure if it could be a valid criteria.
 
If you can tolerate an error of 10% in your energy measure, sure.

A purely elastic collision is an approximation to reality. There's no single answer to "how good does an approximation have to be to be useful" - it depends on how big the error is and how precise an answer you need.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: velvetmist