Real Numbers: 10^{\aleph} Possibilities?

In summary, the set of real numbers has a cardinality of 10^{\aleph_0} and can also be represented using binary, decimal, or hexadecimal systems with corresponding cardinalities of 2^{\aleph_0}, 10^{\aleph_0}, and 16^{\aleph_0} respectively. However, technical details must be taken into account when counting the real numbers, such as the fact that some choices yield the same number and that infinite repeating digits are not allowed.
cragar
If the set of natural numbers is [itex] \aleph [/itex]
and when we write a real number we have 10 choices for each position 0-9
so can we say that there are [itex] 10^{\aleph} [/itex] real numbers ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi cragar! :smile:

cragar said:
If the set of natural numbers is [itex] \aleph [/itex]

You probably mean [itex]\aleph_0[/itex], right?

and when we write a real number we have 10 choices for each position 0-9
so can we say that there are [itex] 10^{\aleph} [/itex] real numbers ?

Yes, that is correct, the real numbers have cardinality [itex]10^{\aleph_0}[/itex]. Also note that

[tex]2^{\aleph_0}=10^{\aleph_0}=\aleph_0^{\aleph_0}[/tex]

But, I also must give you a warning. Saying that you have "10 choices for each position 0-9" is not exactly true, there are technical details. For example 1.00000000... and 0.9999999... are the same numbers, so some choice yield the same number. Also, choice like ...9999999.999999... are not allowed: we must only have a finite number of 1-9 in front of the dot.

These technical matters can be fixed however.

micromass said:
Hi cragar! :smile:
You probably mean [itex]\aleph_0[/itex], right?
Yes, that is correct, the real numbers have cardinality [itex]10^{\aleph_0}[/itex]. Also note that

[tex]2^{\aleph_0}=10^{\aleph_0}=\aleph_0^{\aleph_0}[/tex]
how is this true [tex]2^{\aleph_0}=10^{\aleph_0}=\aleph_0^{\aleph_0}[/tex]

cragar said:
how is this true [tex]2^{\aleph_0}=10^{\aleph_0}=\aleph_0^{\aleph_0}[/tex]

Well, to give an intuitive explanation. You showed that the real numbers have cardinality [itex]10^{\aleph_0}[/itex], but you used decimal representation here. We can also use binary representation. In that way, you have numbers of the form 111.0101101 for example. So you have to choose 0 or 1 a countable number of times. So by the same reasoning, the real numbers have cardinality [itex]2^{\aleph_0}[/itex].
When using hexadecimal, you'll obtain [itex]16^{\aleph_0}[/itex] as cardinality of the reals. So

[tex]2^{\aleph_0}=3^{\aleph_0}=...=10^{\aleph_0}=...[/tex]

I seen the proof where the set has 2^n subsets . like for example if i have a sub set {3,2} this would mean I would put a one in the 3rd position and a 2 in the second position and zeros in the rest. but i thought this was a proof where we couldn't repeat numbers. We didn't start with a multiset. So are you saying the reals are all of the subsets of the naturals.

cragar said:
I seen the proof where the set has 2^n subsets . like for example if i have a sub set {3,2} this would mean I would put a one in the 3rd position and a 2 in the second position and zeros in the rest. but i thought this was a proof where we couldn't repeat numbers. We didn't start with a multiset. So are you saying the reals are all of the subsets of the naturals.

Well, the reals aren't the set of all subsets of the naturals, but they certainly have as much elements!

when you use binary for your list count, what do you mean by your 0 or 1 .

cragar said:
when you use binary for your list count, what do you mean by your 0 or 1 .

Just use the binary system: for example 10=2, 11=3, 100=4, 0.1=1/2, etc.

Related to Real Numbers: 10^{\aleph} Possibilities?

1. What are real numbers?

Real numbers are numbers that can be found on a number line and include both positive and negative integers, fractions, and decimal numbers. They are used to represent continuous quantities such as length, time, and temperature.

2. What does 10^{\aleph} mean?

10^{\aleph} is a mathematical notation used to represent the cardinality or size of the set of real numbers. It is read as "10 to the power of aleph" and refers to the infinite number of real numbers that exist between any two numbers on the number line.

3. How many real numbers are there?

The set of real numbers is infinite, meaning there is no limit to the number of real numbers that exist. However, the number of real numbers between any two numbers is also infinite, making the size of the set 10^{\aleph}.

4. Are real numbers the same as irrational numbers?

No, real numbers include both rational and irrational numbers. Rational numbers can be expressed as a fraction or decimal, while irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a fraction and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimals.

5. What are some examples of real numbers?

Examples of real numbers include 3, -5, 0.25, 1/2, 2.71828 (e), and √2. Any number that can be found on a number line is a real number.