Real world problem - Child's toy engine

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a toy engine from a 1983 Lego train set. The issue is with the turbine or rotary part not functioning properly and making a lot of noise. The conversation discusses possible causes, such as worn bearings or rubbing parts, and a possible solution of replacing the motor. The conversation also touches on the topic of magnetism and how to identify the north and south poles.
thomas-anderson
I am not sure this is the right forum, but thought I would try, and you can flock me if I am wrong =)

I have a real world problem. However, I don't recall ever having studied electromagnetism, thus I don't really have the necessary background to tackle this problem. I tried to speed up my learning, by learning the basics, "north and south" pole for example, of a magnet.

Here are two pictures of the toy.
https://cloud.little-beak.com/s/FEpCMarwqDfGjJm

the problem is, the "turbine" or rotary part of the engine doesn't work as expected. Disassembling it, carefully, I was able to get it to work, but it's still rough. It makes a lot of noise, NOT from the wheels, but from the part inside rubbing against the magnet.

The toy is from a 1983 Lego train set. So, yes, it is older. =)

I think, in theory, the part inside should almost free be suspended, and powerfully in the middle, but I can put it in and out without issue.

I suspect, and from what I have read, magnets can wear out?

But, they can also be recharged? How would a novice find the north or south pole?

Any tips or help in understanding this problem would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome!
Rather than a magnet problem, it could be the very common problems of worn bearings that allow the rotor drag over the stator, and/or of worn rubbing parts of the collector that difficult the electrical contact.

Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
Rather than a magnet problem, it could be the very common problems of worn bearings that allow the rotor drag over the stator, and/or of worn rubbing parts of the collector that difficult the electrical contact.
Thanks for the reply. The engine gets power, and tries to turn, but it's very laborious, loud, and it will shortly stop, so that suggests the bears. Which part are the bearings? The metal parts around what appears to be coiled copper? Sorry for my descriptions, I really have no idea about this technology.

thomas-anderson said:
Which part are the bearings?
The parts on either end that support the rotor. They wear out.
This is by far the most common and most likely source of a noisy, reluctant motor.
You're going to have a tough time if you try to repair this. Replacement is really the option.

1645302266529.png

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Could you show a picture of the little carbons with springs?
Let's call @berkeman for his expert opinion.

Low voltage motor.jpg

Likes vanhees71
Looking at Lnewqban's pic makes me wonder how standardized these motors are.
My local hobby shop sells those little motors for slot cars.

Likes vanhees71 and Lnewqban
These motors, known as ‘can’ motors, are very standardized. They are categorized by size and voltage. Measure the old motor and determine the likely voltage by counting the batteries. The trick will be reconnecting the new motor-some soldering will likely be required.

Likes vanhees71 and Lnewqban

1. What is the purpose of studying a child's toy engine?

The purpose of studying a child's toy engine is to gain a better understanding of how simple machines work and to apply scientific principles to solve real-world problems. It also allows for the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How does a child's toy engine work?

A child's toy engine typically works by converting one form of energy (such as electricity or batteries) into mechanical energy through the use of gears, pulleys, and other simple machines. These components work together to create movement and make the toy engine function.

3. What are some common problems with child's toy engines?

Some common problems with child's toy engines include malfunctioning gears or pulleys, loose connections, and battery or power source issues. These problems can often be solved by troubleshooting and identifying the specific issue.

4. How can we improve the design of a child's toy engine?

To improve the design of a child's toy engine, we can incorporate more advanced materials and technologies, such as 3D printing and microcontrollers. We can also focus on creating more interactive and educational experiences for children, such as incorporating coding and programming into the toy's functions.

5. How can studying a child's toy engine benefit other industries?

Studying a child's toy engine can benefit other industries by providing insights into the design and functioning of simple machines. This knowledge can be applied to larger and more complex machines used in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and construction. It can also inspire innovation and creativity in engineering and design fields.