1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really hard Volume Question. !

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    Really hard Volume Question. URGENT!

Can someone help me with this question? I don't know where to begin. I don't want the answers, just hints in the right direction

[​IMG]

*edit* can a mod please fix the topic title? It's supposed to read 'Really hard Volume Question. URGENT!' << Done. >>

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2
  4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Re: ally hard Volume Question. URGENT!

Call z the axis which h belongs to. You have to find an expression for the area of the rectangle obtained by intersecting the cylinder with an horizontal plane as a function of z and integrate this area from 0 to h.

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

The area of the disc (what's inside the circle) from -r to h, where h is between -r and r can be figured out by doing half a circle at a time. The function is sqrt (r^2-x^2). Since a disc is symmetrical just find the area above the x-axis and multiply by 2. So the fun part here is finding out what the integral is.

6. Jan 29, 2009 #5

think simple ...
    I think it can be solved without integration using bunch of trigonometry and sector, triangle area formulas

7. Jan 29, 2009 #6

Sure area 2 is a fraction of pi r^2. I bet the fraction formula as a function of h is not simple. Area 1 is + when h is above the center of the circle and - when h is below the center. I think I'll stick with my integral since I've already solve a related problem: The probability of intersection between a tossed square and a target disc.

8. Jan 29, 2009 #7

This kind of integral is simple...
    What you actually need is the lenght of the segment obtained by intersecting the circle [tex] x^2 + z^2 = R^2 [\tex] with a straight line z = const. And this is given by

[tex]
    b(z) = 2 \sqrt{R^2 - z^2}
    [\tex]

Thus, let L be the height of the cylinder, the area of the rectangle is given by

[tex]
    A(z) = L b(z) = L 2 \sqrt{R^2 - z^2}
    [\tex]

And then the volume of the water

[tex]
    V(h) = \int_{-R}^{h} A(z) dz
    [\tex]

9. Jan 29, 2009 #8
    Re: Really hard Volume Question. URGENT!

I dont know why but latex command doesn't work....

10. Jan 29, 2009 #9

I see.
    I failed to consider the other case.

11. Jan 29, 2009 #10
    Re: Really hard Volume Question. URGENT!

(1/2(pi r^2) + 1/2(pi (r-h)^2 ) * l

would that work?

12. Jan 29, 2009 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?