Really ugly graph-volume problem

• Thread starter Nikitin
  • Start date
In summary, the author is trying to find the volume generated by revolving a region about the x-axis. The region is the area separated by given function and lines. The author also notes that if he wanted to revolve the region around the Y-axis, then the integral would need to be solved differently. Additionally, the author states that his method sounds better than the one proposed in the original post.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the x-axis.
Region = the area separated by given function and lines:

x = sqrt(2y)/(y^2 +1)
y=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

i just need to solve the integral of ∫x dy... How? Is there any simple way to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the x-axis.
Region = the area separated by given function and lines:

x = sqrt(2y)/(y^2 +1)
y=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

i just need to solve the integral of ∫x dy... How? Is there any simple way to solve it?

Don't you want ##\pi\int x^2\, dy##? Write out your integral, complete with limits so we know exactly what your problem is.

that would be the case if I wanted to revolve it around the Y-axis.

Here's a graph showing the problem:http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg14/scaled.php?server=14&filename=63679970.jpg&res=landing

i need to find the area between the y=1 and the graph (which I require the integral of x to find). that way I can find the average radii of the solid, remake it into a cylinder with the same area and revolve it to find a volume identical to the 1 I'm supposed to find.

Duno if this will work, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikitin said:
that would be the case if I wanted to revolve it around the Y-axis.

Here's a graph showing the problem:http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg14/scaled.php?server=14&filename=63679970.jpg&res=landing

i need to find the area between the y=1 and the graph (which I require the integral of x to find). that way I can find the average radii of the solid, remake it into a cylinder with the same area and revolve it to find a volume identical to the 1 I'm supposed to find.

Duno if this will work, tho.

Yes, I was thinking you were revolving about the Y axis. I see you have added the line y=1 to the problem. To revolve about the x-axis given you have x in terms of y, you want to use a dy integral and the shell method with an integral of this form:$$
V =2\pi\int_a^b yf(y)dy= 2\pi\int_0^1\frac{\sqrt 2 y^\frac 3 2}{1+y^2}\, dy$$which isn't quite the form in your original post. Whether that is an easy integral to work isn't obvious to me at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, your method sounds much better than mine. I just learned the shell method yesterday so I don't have any problems with that.

But the integral of x needs to be solved anyway (and it's without thinking about 2*pi outside, imo).

FAQ: Really ugly graph-volume problem

1. What is a really ugly graph-volume problem?

A really ugly graph-volume problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the volume of a 3-dimensional graph that has a complex and unattractive shape. This problem is often used in geometry and calculus to test a person's understanding of volume calculations.

2. How do you solve a really ugly graph-volume problem?

The first step to solving a really ugly graph-volume problem is to break the graph into smaller, more manageable shapes. Then, use the appropriate formulas to calculate the volume of each individual shape. Finally, add together the volumes of each shape to get the total volume of the graph.

3. What skills are needed to tackle a really ugly graph-volume problem?

To successfully solve a really ugly graph-volume problem, one needs to have a strong understanding of geometry, calculus, and algebra. It is also helpful to have a good grasp of 3-dimensional visualization and spatial reasoning.

4. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving really ugly graph-volume problems?

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts or tricks for solving really ugly graph-volume problems. The best way to solve these problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts and use the appropriate formulas and techniques.

5. How can really ugly graph-volume problems be useful in real life?

While they may seem like abstract and difficult problems, really ugly graph-volume problems can actually be quite useful in real life. They are often used in engineering and architecture to calculate the volume of complex structures, such as buildings and bridges. They can also be applied in fields such as physics and chemistry to determine the volume of irregularly shaped objects and substances.

Back