1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really ugly graph-volume problem

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region about the x-axis.
    Region = the area separated by given function and lines:

x = sqrt(2y)/(y^2 +1)
    y=0.
    3. The attempt at a solution

i just need to solve the integral of ∫x dy... How? Is there any simple way to solve it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't you want ##\pi\int x^2\, dy##? Write out your integral, complete with limits so we know exactly what your problem is.

4. Oct 5, 2012 #3
    that would be the case if I wanted to revolve it around the Y-axis.

Here's a graph showing the problem:http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg14/scaled.php?server=14&filename=63679970.jpg&res=landing [Broken]

i need to find the area between the y=1 and the graph (which I require the integral of x to find). that way I can find the average radii of the solid, remake it into a cylinder with the same area and revolve it to find a volume identical to the 1 I'm supposed to find.

Duno if this will work, tho.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Oct 5, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I was thinking you were revolving about the Y axis. I see you have added the line y=1 to the problem. To revolve about the x axis given you have x in terms of y, you want to use a dy integral and the shell method with an integral of this form:$$
    V =2\pi\int_a^b yf(y)dy= 2\pi\int_0^1\frac{\sqrt 2 y^\frac 3 2}{1+y^2}\, dy$$which isn't quite the form in your original post. Whether that is an easy integral to work isn't obvious to me at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Oct 6, 2012 #5
    Yes, your method sounds much better than mine. I just learned the shell method yesterday so I don't have any problems with that.

But the integral of x needs to be solved anyway (and it's without thinking about 2*pi outside, imo).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook