Really weird physics problem, can you help me?

In summary, to see the sunset, you must be on the Equator and elevating your eyes by 1.70 meters. The radius of the Earth is unknown, but using the law of cosines, you get 2 unknowns and only one equation.
TrevorRyan
Suppose that, while lying on a beach near the equator watching the Sun set over a calm ocean, you start a stopwatch just as the top of the Sun disappears. You then stand, elevating your eyes by a height H = 1.70 m, and stop the watch when the top of the Sun again disappears. If the elapsed time is t = 11.1 s, what is the radius r of Earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the celestial sphere to solve the problem.

Hi TrevorRyan! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(you'd better start with a really good diagram!)

Yes, an accurate diagram would really benifit

Looks like a trigonometry problem. You are given two sides and the angle between them.

sacscale said:
Looks like a trigonometry problem. You are given two sides and the angle between them.

How so? You can figure the angle that the Earth rotates in the problem, but you aren't given the sides that enclose that angle.

tiny-tim said:
Hi TrevorRyan! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(you'd better start with a really good diagram!)

I'd like to see a better description on that first sentence too.

Nessdude14 said:
How so? You can figure the angle that the Earth rotates in the problem, but you aren't given the sides that enclose that angle.

One side is the radius the other is the radius plus 1.70m.

sacscale said:
One side is the radius the other is the radius plus 1.70m.

Those sides aren't given, the radius of the Earth is an unknown in this problem. If you try to apply the law of cosines, you get 2 unknowns and only one equation.

Nessdude14 said:
Those sides aren't given, the radius of the Earth is an unknown in this problem. If you try to apply the law of cosines, you get 2 unknowns and only one equation.

At the tangent to the surface is a right angle.

Last edited:
Moderator's note

At this point, please let TrevorRyan respond with an attempt toward working out the problem, in accordance with our forum guidelines on Homework Help. Please do not post further hints and help until we here from the OP.

I always get to the this equation, R+1.7cos0.04625=R, and Have no idea what to do from there.

Add parentheses at the proper places? Your equation means that 1.7 cos0.04625=0 which is obviously wrong.

For better understanding, I attach the missing figure. One sees the sunset when the ray arriving to the eye from the sun is tangent to the Earth.

ehild

Attachments

• sunset2.JPG
    sunset2.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 392
wow I am retarded lol. Thx ehild, now i get it

FAQ: Really weird physics problem, can you help me?

1. What is the best approach to solving a really weird physics problem?

The best approach to solving a really weird physics problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the key concepts and equations involved, and then work through the problem step by step. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts or resources to gain different perspectives and insights.

2. How can I check if my solution to a really weird physics problem is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your solution is to go back and retrace your steps, making sure you followed the correct logic and used the appropriate equations. You can also compare your solution to similar problems or consult with others to verify your approach and answer.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a really weird physics problem?

If you are stuck on a really weird physics problem, try stepping away from it for a while and coming back to it with fresh eyes. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking help from other experts or resources. Don't be afraid to ask questions and think outside the box to find a solution.

4. Can you provide some general tips for solving really weird physics problems?

Yes! Some general tips for solving really weird physics problems include understanding the key concepts, practicing problem-solving techniques, and seeking help and advice when needed. It may also be helpful to regularly review and reinforce your knowledge of fundamental physics principles.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving really weird physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving really weird physics problems include using incorrect equations, overlooking key concepts, and not double-checking your work. It's also important to avoid rushing through the problem and to always show your work and reasoning to ensure accuracy.

Back