How can I rearrange an equation to solve for v without using t?

• Thread starter tomwilliam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the value of v in the kinematics equations given, using only algebra and not relying on physics principles. The conversation goes back and forth with different methods being suggested, until the person remembers how to solve a quadratic equation and is able to find the solution.
tomwilliam
I've got a kinematics equation modelling the flight of a stone:

v = 10-gt
s= -1/2 g t^2 +10t +2

I can't remember how to get a value for v which doesn't contain t.
I tried rearranging the first equation and introducing it to replace t in the second, but can't seem to get v isolated:

(10-v)/g = t

s = -1/2 g ((10-v)/g)^2 + 10((10-v)/g) + 2

s = -1/2 ((10-v)^2/g) + (100-10v)/g + 2

but I can't work out how to get a single expression for v. Can anybody help?
This isn't a homework question, and I know the final solution is:
v=sqrt(4g+100-2gs)
It's just that I'm revising some stuff and really should know this already...!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using conservation of energy:

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+mgs=\textrm{initial value of E}[/tex]

It may not literally be a homework question, but it's a homework-like question, so it belongs here where it's been moved. :smile:

It might be easier if instead of solving the first equation for t and substituting into the second equation, you do it the other way around: solve the second equation for t and...

Do you remember how to solve a quadratic equation?

Thanks for your reply.
I realize that I can calculate this using energy considerations...but is there not a way to do it using algebra alone? I'm reading through a maths textbook that gives these equations and simply says "rearranging the equations we can easily show that..." then gives the solution. As the textbook doesn't presuppose any physics background, I was trying to work out how to do it algebraically without invoking any physics principles.
Thanks

Yes, sorry for posting in the wrong spot.

I've got it now...just a momentary blank.
Thanks for your help

What is the purpose of rearranging an equation?

The purpose of rearranging an equation is to solve for a specific variable or to make the equation easier to understand and work with.

How do you rearrange an equation?

To rearrange an equation, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to isolate the variable you are solving for on one side of the equation.

What are the rules for rearranging an equation?

The rules for rearranging an equation include maintaining equality by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation, using inverse operations to cancel out terms, and simplifying terms when possible.

Why is it important to check your work when rearranging an equation?

It is important to check your work when rearranging an equation to ensure that your solution is correct and to catch any mistakes that may have been made during the rearranging process.

Can you rearrange any type of equation?

Yes, you can rearrange any type of equation as long as you follow the rules and maintain equality. However, some equations may be more complex and require more steps to rearrange.