Reasonable Degree Timeline for Undergraduate/Masters/PhD?

In summary: It sounds like you want to stay at your current school, right?)In summary, if you want to pursue a PhD in physics, it is usually best to complete your undergraduate degree at a school that offers the program you want to pursue first. If you are only interested in a Master's degree, you can still apply to a PhD program. However, it is usually more advantageous to apply to the graduate program with the intent of eventually pursuing a PhD.
Elwin.Martin
I'm a bit ahead due to AP classes, starting in the summer and tests of advanced standing so it looks like I can comfortably finish my BS in about 3 years time starting this fall. I'm trying to get my education timeline to run somewhat reasonably with my significant other's and she will be taking a total of 5 years starting this fall for her double with music. For Physics, is there any reason to apply to a Master's at one school and then a PhD at another or is it more like you apply to the graduate program with an intent for a PhD take classes, take qauls etc?

My goal at present is:
3 years BS Physics/BS Applied Mathematics (a double major assuming I take summer semesters)
2 years MS Physics at the same school
5-7 years PhD Physics at a school that actually offers the programs I'm interested in... (While my University is a great overall school it simply doesn't offer any of the subfields I'm interested in. . .)

If I did this it would put us both out at the same time and we've already mapped out a number of graduate school options for different scenarios (Top schools all the way through some extreme fall backs) so that won't be an issue. The problem is that I'm not sure if it would be legitimate for me to go to a school for Masters and another for a PhD if I'm looking for a relatively competitive program (probably high energy, particles and fields, or cosmology depending on how my SR, GR, and QFT courses go).

I could probably apply to grad school in two years time if I take summers and drop the applied math degree but there are no schools in my state that offer my programs! (I wish I lived in NY or California...)

I would really like to take her degree into consideration when I apply to for grad school and any advice on how to time myself would be great.

If it turns out I need to apply to graduate school directly for a PhD path I've heard that a lot of people take 5-7 years time. My dad said he'd had friends complete PhDs in 4 years with a lot of work but I'm not sure I would be comfortable trying to do a Physics PhD that quickly (or if it's even possible for me). Is there anyway to determine a rough length for a PhD? I'm sure there are some paths that take longer than others. Most schools I've looked at do give medians of 6 or 7 years but there must be some exceptions.

Thank you for your time,
Elwin Martin

Edit: I'm guessing that a double major doesn't mean anything to most graduate programs so long as my research, grades and PGR are good so would it be advisable to drop it? I would really like to have Applied Math degree as it would give me a more rigorous view of many topics I need in Graduate Physics (Differential Geometry and Topology for instance.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Elwin.Martin said:
For Physics, is there any reason to apply to a Master's at one school and then a PhD at another or is it more like you apply to the graduate program with an intent for a PhD take classes, take qauls etc?

In the USA, you almost always enter a physics PhD program after finishing the bachelor's degree. After completing a certain amount of coursework, you can usually pick up a master's degree along the way, so to speak. The total amount of time to the PhD (after the bachelor's) varies depending on your field, whether you're in theory or experiment, how well your dissertation topic turns out, etc. Most people take 5 to 7 years.

Last edited:
You may also consider staying the 4th year for your Bachelor's, to improve your chances in getting into a better PhD program. It wouldn't hurt you if you're not barred on time or finances.

Anonymous217 said:
You may also consider staying the 4th year for your Bachelor's, to improve your chances in getting into a better PhD program. It wouldn't hurt you if you're not barred on time or finances.

So slowing down my course work and lowering my load per semester a little won't make my application look weak? That's surprising to hear but good to know. (or is it that I'd have more time for research?)

I shouldn't be awfully barred by finances. I sort of lost my state scholarship for the fall (I have a 4.0gpa presently, it's not a grade thing) but it will be back from the spring onward for about 96 credit hours more?

If I'm slowing down and I don't think that the second major would hinder my time to study for PGRE and research etc should I consider the second major then? At least where I'm attending, I can fill most of my Physics electives with degree requirements for an Applied Math degree (Complex Analysis counts as a Physics Elective, Mathematical Statistics, Numerical Analysis, PDE counts as a 4000 level elective in both etc.) I'm not sure I can slow to four without being bored otherwise but I guess I'll know when I start hitting the real classes like Electrodynamics or Complex Analysis etc.

jtbell said:
In the USA, you almost always enter a physics PhD program after finishing the bachelor's degree. After completing a certain amount of coursework, you can usually pick up a master's degree along the way, so to speak. The total amount of time to the PhD (after the bachelor's) varies depending on your field, whether you're in theory or experiment, how well your dissertation topic turns out, etc. Most people take 5 to 7 years.

I thought I'd heard that. A professor of mine did a master's-ish program at Oxford for 2 years and then came back (he did Caltech UG and Stonybrook for PhD, which is the kind of situation I wish I could reverse for myself but I guess we all do[there's nothing wrong with Stonybrook though!]) so I was wondering if I could find a program that was similar in the U.S. but I guess not. I'm hoping to go for theory if my PGRE scores are competitive and my research is good.

What motivation is there to pick up the master's along the way? Is it a fallback for hire-ability?

It comes down to, can you handle upper division physics courses coming in as a freshman(I'm assuming junior level courses)? A lot of plans sound good on paper, but loading up on electrodynamics, QM, and PDEs and two more classes in one semester would just be killer in terms of homework and studying.

But if you can realistically handle the workload, then there really shouldn't be a problem.

Elwin.Martin said:
So slowing down my course work and lowering my load per semester a little won't make my application look weak?

1) No. It's better to get things done well then done quickly.
2) If you push yourself too hard and burn out then it doesn't matter.

Elwin.Martin said:
What motivation is there to pick up the master's along the way? Is it a fallback for hire-ability?

Basically, yes. If something happens and you don't finish your Ph.D., you've still got something. It might not actually matter for much, but the effort to do it should be trivial. All I had to do was file a form in the department office and maybe pay a small fee.

twofish-quant said:
1) No. It's better to get things done well then done quickly.
2) If you push yourself too hard and burn out then it doesn't matter.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

jtbell said:
Basically, yes. If something happens and you don't finish your Ph.D., you've still got something. It might not actually matter for much, but the effort to do it should be trivial. All I had to do was file a form in the department office and maybe pay a small fee.

Thanks, I guess I'll look into it when I get there.

1) How long does it typically take to complete an undergraduate degree?

The length of time it takes to complete an undergraduate degree can vary depending on the program and the individual's course load. However, most undergraduate degrees take around 4 years to complete if the student is enrolled full-time.

2) What is a reasonable timeline for completing a master's degree?

A master's degree typically takes 1-2 years to complete, depending on the program and the student's course load. Some programs may offer a fast-track option that allows students to complete their degree in a shorter amount of time.

3) How long does it usually take to finish a PhD program?

A PhD program can take anywhere from 5-7 years to complete, depending on the program and the student's research progress. This time frame can also be affected by funding availability and the complexity of the research topic.

4) Is it possible to complete an undergraduate and master's degree in 4 years?

While it is possible to complete both an undergraduate and master's degree in 4 years, it is not common. This would require a heavy course load and a significant amount of dedication from the student.

5) Are there any factors that may affect the timeline for completing a degree?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the timeline for completing a degree, such as taking a break from school, changing majors, or conducting research for a thesis or dissertation. Additionally, some programs may have specific requirements or prerequisites that could impact the timeline.