Reasons for the current FHA scrutiny of gifts?

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Recently, I've encountered two examples of how the Federal Housing Adminsitration requires banks to scrutinize borrowers who acknowledge receiving gifts of money to help purchase a house. The banks require an "affidavit of gift" document from the giver and a copy of a bank statement showing that the gift funds were withdrawn from an account - a copy with the account number showing, not redacted.

What abuses led to these regulations? Were people doing a type of pyramid scheme where they borrowed money from one bank and gifted it to themselves to bolster the financial statements they submitted to a different bank?

Answers and Replies

DavidSnider
Gold Member
It's probably simpler than that. People telling the bank it was a gift when in fact it was a loan from a friend\relative that had to be repaid.

BWV
Yes you can’t count a personal loan from a family member or friend as a down payment

Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Yes you can’t count a personal loan from a family member or friend as a down payment

That rule may be an old one, but when I bought my house in the 80's, the bank didn't investigate where I got the down payment. I have the impression that the gift affidavit is recent requirement. Is that correct?

Klystron
Gold Member
Could the government be trying to reduce small-scale money laundering via real estate transactions? Small scale since the OP stipulates an FHA loan, not a buyer plunking down bags of money in an all-cash transaction.

Suppose people launder small amounts of money, below $10,000 USD, as apparent gifts to FHA home buyers. Demanding gifts be from legitimate banking transactions might close that avenue.

Suggested for: Reasons for the current FHA scrutiny of gifts?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views