Recession of M81 and the M81 Group?

• Thread starter AJH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of M81 and M82 with binoculars and how they are part of the M81 group, which is separate from the Local Group. It is noted that galaxies outside of the Local Group, such as the Virgo cluster, are receding from us due to the expansion of space. However, there is confusion about the red shift of M81 and whether it is ultimately receding from us or temporarily approaching us. The recessional velocity of M81 is also mentioned, but there is uncertainty about how it is measured. The conversation also touches on the interest in viewing M81 and M82 and whether they are moving away from us. It is stated that the gravitational attraction between us and the M
AJH
I have found M81 and M82 with my 10x50 binoculars. I understand that they are both part of the M81 group, separate from our own Local Group, and was under the impression that anything outside of our Local Group (including the Virgo cluster and other groups) was receding from us due to the general expansion of space overcoming gravity at greater distances.

I have read that M81 emits light with a negative red shift whereas other galaxies in the M81 Group (including M82) emit radiation with positive red shifts and that this might be due to M81 alone happening to be temporarily approaching us as part of its rotation around a galactic-group gravitational centre. If so, should at least some of the many other galaxies in the group also be approaching us and displaying negative redshifts? Are we just deducing that M81 is ultimately receding from us due to that trend in neighbouring galaxies? I have come across a recessional velocity for M81 of 95 km/sec quoted a couple of times and wonder how this is arrived at.

I find M81 and M82 more interesting objects to view than M33 (for instance) and would like to know when I look at them if both or either are moving away from us.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Gravitational attraction between us and M81 group exceeds the force of expansion, at least for the foreseeable future.

Thanks very much for giving me a definitive answer on this. I have encountered contradictory suggestions in several guides and websites (as there also is regarding distances).

I would be interested to know for certain if other binocular objects such as M51 and M101 were receding from us. All the sources I have read state that the Virgo Cluster and ourselves are moving apart, albeit slowed by gravity.

Is there a rule-of-thumb distance from us (e.g. 15 or 25 million l.y.a.) beyond which galaxies are going to be receding from us?

The largest scale at which mass density has been measured with any precision is a galactic supercluster. These galactic superclusters can as large as 20 mega parsecs. Our Milky way, and local group, is a member of the Virgo supercluster. Hubble expansion is slowed 10-20% by gravity in a typical supercluster.

I would re-cap what I have learned from this thread, seds.org and ned.caltech.edu as follows:

1) A measure of the velocity of a galaxy would depend on the point of reference (Sun, galaxy centre, group centre etc) of the observor as well as the object's activity within its own group - a galaxy might thus have a negative red-shift and still be receding from us.

2) Members of nearer groups beyond the Local Group such as M81 can still gravitationally interact with the Local Group so any current recession on their part may not necessarily be long-term.

3) There is a clearer pattern of recession away from us in somewhat further groups such as M51 group, M101 group etc.

4) The attractive effect of massive of groups such as the Virgo cluster counteracts the general trend of recession.

1. What is the M81 Group?

The M81 Group is a group of galaxies located about 12 million light years away from Earth. It is named after its largest and most prominent member, the spiral galaxy M81.

2. What is the recession of M81?

The recession of M81 refers to the movement of the galaxy away from Earth due to the expansion of the universe. This movement is measured by the redshift of M81's spectral lines.

3. How is the recession of M81 measured?

The recession of M81 is measured using the Doppler effect, which is the change in wavelength of light from a moving object. By analyzing the redshift of M81's spectral lines, scientists can calculate its recession velocity and distance from Earth.

4. What is causing the recession of M81?

The recession of M81, as well as all other galaxies, is primarily caused by the expansion of the universe. This expansion is driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

5. How does the recession of M81 affect its neighboring galaxies?

The recession of M81 affects its neighboring galaxies by pulling them along with it, creating a gravitational tug of war between the galaxies in the M81 Group. This can also cause distortions in the shapes of these galaxies, as well as trigger star formation in some cases.