1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atomic Recommend good optical clock/cold atom/frequency comb book?

1. Jan 30, 2017 #1
    I need to learn more about optical clocks, frequency combs, atom trapping, atom interferometry, etc., and I'm wondering if there are good books or review papers you recommend? The papers I'm reading can be hard to understand and often assume knowledge I don't have. I'm a grad student if that helps.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What is your background with respect to quantum optics?

4. Jan 30, 2017 #3
    Don't really have one, but I know several of Marlan Scully's current students if that helps. :D

5. Jan 30, 2017 #4

DrClaude

You need to get a good basis in quantum optics if you want to tackle these subjects.

Considering that many of the topics you want to cover are quite new, you should go for a recently published book. Looking at my bookshelf, I suggest that you get a copy of Introduction to Quantum Optics by Grynberg, Aspect, and Fabre (Cambridge University Press, 2010)

6. Jan 30, 2017 #5
    Thanks. I mainly need to learn about this stuff because I'm studying the use of cold atoms/optical clocks in gravity, so I'm *mainly* learning gravity. :oldbiggrin:

7. Feb 9, 2017 #6
    The best introductory book about all the topics you listed, expect the frequency comb, that I know of is ,,Laser Control of Atoms and Molecules'' by V.S. Lethokov. I'm not sure if there is any book specifically on frequency combs. You can try reading ,,Phase stabilization of ultrashort optical pulses'', S. T. Cundiff, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 35, R43, which gives a good introduction, specifically in Sec. 2, but keep in mind that the specific systems he describes are a bit dated. If you have questions about frequency combs or laser stabilization, you can ask here and I will try to answer.

8. Feb 9, 2017 #7

DrClaude

I have to disagree. I was very disappointed by Lethokov's book, which reads like a very long review article. Nothing much is actually explained in the book, and one has to constantly refer to the cited papers.

9. Feb 13, 2017 #8
    Darn. Can you recommend another one then?

10. Feb 13, 2017 #9

DrClaude

I've looked through my bookshelf, and I'll really stick to my recommendation of Grynberg et al. As I said, the topics of interest to you are quite new, at the current frontier of research, and most of the books do not cover these newer areas. The Grynberg book will give you both a good introduction to basic quantum optics and discuss the topics of interest to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted