Recommendation for mechanics software

In summary, the conversation discussed the need to simulate an iron cylindrical cantilever beam and find the points where a full-bridge strain gauge circuit can be placed for the strongest signal. The suggested location for the strain gauge was at the base of the beam close to the attachment point, as this is where the stress is highest. ANSYS can be used to model and insert loads on the beam to obtain results on stress and strains.
davewest751
I have little experience of mechanics and I need to simulate an iron cylindrical cantilever beam with a length of 160mm and diameter of 36mm. I need to find the points on the beam where I can place a full-bridge strain gauge circuit and get the strongest signal. Ideally I want to have an actual image of the beam with coloured gradient areas on the beam like the attached jpeg.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• cylinder cantilever beam.jpg
    cylinder cantilever beam.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 428
Engineering news on Phys.org
A strain gauge will measure strain at the surface of the beam, so since strain is related to stress you just need to place the gauge where the stress is the highest- in the case of a cantilever beam at its base close to the attachment point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_theory#Cantilever_beams

You can use ANSYS to model and insert loads on your prescribed beam and get results showing stress and strains. But as Mech_Engineer said, for cantilever beams, it's pretty evident where the stress is highest i,e the point where it is affixed to.

Related to Recommendation for mechanics software

1. What is mechanics software and what is its purpose?

Mechanics software is a computer program that is designed to simulate and analyze mechanical systems. Its purpose is to assist engineers and scientists in understanding the behavior of mechanical systems and predicting their performance under different conditions.

2. What are the key features to look for in mechanics software?

The key features to look for in mechanics software include a user-friendly interface, robust simulation capabilities, accurate and reliable results, compatibility with different types of mechanical systems, and the ability to handle complex and large-scale models.

3. Can mechanics software be used for both academic and industrial purposes?

Yes, mechanics software can be used for both academic and industrial purposes. It can be used for research and teaching in universities, as well as for designing and optimizing mechanical systems in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in mechanics to use this software?

While having a background in mechanics can be helpful, it is not necessary to use mechanics software. Most software programs have user-friendly interfaces and provide tutorials and guides to assist users in learning how to use the software effectively.

5. Can mechanics software be used for real-time analysis and control of mechanical systems?

Yes, some mechanics software programs have real-time analysis and control capabilities, allowing engineers to monitor and adjust mechanical systems in real-time. However, this feature may not be available in all software programs and may require additional hardware and/or software components.