Mechanics for High School Students: Building a Robotic Arm

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's interest in learning mechanics in order to build a robotic arm. They are struggling with the difficulty of mechanics and are seeking advice on where to start. The suggestion is to begin by reading about linkages and analyzing their movement and forces. It is recommended to use computer simulations before purchasing materials or doing any fabrication. The student will also develop skills in visualisation, 2D and 3D geometry, and working with vectors and matrices.
kamalMKA
TL;DR Summary: Mechanical engineering,robotics,mechnics,dynamics

Hi guys , I'm new to mechnics and I want to learn it for building robotic arm , but I find mechanics book topics somewhat difficult for me , what I need to learn to get started as I'm a highschool student with basic level math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @kamalMKA !

Do you have specific school assignment?
if so, could you show us the scope and degree of difficulty of your project?

Thank you for replying , No I want to make this project for myself , but I know nothing about mechanics in order to build the structure of robotic arm , so I want to start learning about mechanics but I don't know where to start , I'm so sorry if my question shouldn't be posted here , but I really need some help.

Start reading here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkage_(mechanical)
Measuring and analyse a few linkages, such as the digging arm on an excavator or backhoe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backhoe

If you use a computer, to simulate the movement and calculate the forces, then you do not have to purchase materials or do any machining or fabrication, until you are happy with the design and performance.

You will develop visualisation and mathematics skills in 2D and then 3D geometry.
You will encounter vectors, as complex numbers, and as matrices.

Likes kamalMKA and Lnewqban

1. What is the purpose of building a robotic arm for high school students?

The purpose of building a robotic arm for high school students is to introduce them to the concepts of mechanics and engineering in a hands-on and interactive way. It allows them to apply their knowledge of physics and mathematics to design and construct a functional robot, which can be a valuable learning experience.

2. What are the basic principles of mechanics involved in building a robotic arm?

The basic principles of mechanics involved in building a robotic arm include forces, motion, and energy. Students will need to understand concepts such as torque, center of mass, and mechanical advantage to design and build a functional robotic arm.

3. Do students need any prior knowledge or experience in mechanics to build a robotic arm?

No, students do not need any prior knowledge or experience in mechanics to build a robotic arm. However, a basic understanding of physics and mathematics will be helpful in understanding the principles involved in building a robotic arm.

4. What materials and tools are needed to build a robotic arm?

The materials and tools needed to build a robotic arm may vary, but generally, students will need a combination of mechanical components such as gears, motors, and pulleys, as well as electronic components such as sensors and controllers. They will also need basic tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, and wire cutters.

5. What are the potential real-world applications of building a robotic arm?

Building a robotic arm can have various real-world applications, such as in manufacturing, healthcare, and space exploration. It can also be used in industries that require precision and accuracy, such as in the automotive and aerospace industries. Additionally, students can use their knowledge and skills in building a robotic arm to pursue careers in engineering, robotics, and other related fields.