Recommendations from professors you chat with (rather than do research with)

In summary, this conversation is about how a professor might be able to tell if a student has what it takes to do well in their field. The student is flattered and happy to hear the professor say this, but the professor is not going to be a reference because they haven't seen the student's abilities yet.
Simfish
Gold Member
Are these types of recommendations common? Can they be extremely helpful?

Here's the thing: when you do research, you're not really talking about the big picture - you're merely in for the small details. I'm more of a "big picture" person than a "small details" person, and most of my insights come from the "big picture".

But if you simply chat with a professor maybe weekly (or even just once in a while), you could talk with him about things that are more big picture. Most of the time, those chats won't prove your "genius" or analytical ability (you can rely on other recommendations for that). But they can prove that you have the ability to see the big picture very well. They can also prove that you have a *real* passion for the field (which is often important, since many grad students come in without having much passion, and then are more susceptible to dropping out). It's also quite possible that professors might see a problem in their grad students not seeing the "big picture" very well. I don't know, but I actually find it hard to talk to my fellow undergrads in astrophysics precisely because few of them seem to care much about the big picture.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think this is helpful. First, science is not done by "looking at the big picture". It's done by getting down and dirty in the details. Second, passion, shmassion. There are lots of people who say they are really passionate about science - but their interest fades when they have to calibrate a thousand sensors.

I had a conversation with a Biology professor who is also the head of our math and science department. I don't think it will be a reference but he said some things that helped give a boost of confidence. I was sitting outside of a class waiting for it to end because I had left my calculator in there during the class right before it. I just basically struck up conversation in a casual manner and we talked. I mentioned that I was double majoring in Math and Physics, to which he responded that those are the 2 toughest majors in that department. We continued to chat, I talked about why I like those subjects and such. I mentioned that I was going to graduate school for one of the 2 eventually though I am undecided on which. He said something to the extent of: I've been around academia for many years now and I have a good eye for who will do well, in briefly talking to you I can already tell that you have what it takes to do it. I was beyond flattered to hear that from someone I had just met. However, for a reference? No, he may remember my name and face but he hasn't seen my abilities at all.

Kinda slid further from the OP question, sorry about that.

1. How valuable are recommendations from professors you chat with?

Recommendations from professors you chat with can be valuable, but the level of value may vary depending on the nature of your relationship with the professor. If you have regular discussions with the professor about your academic interests and goals, their recommendation can provide insight into your strengths and potential for success in your chosen field. However, if you have only had casual conversations with the professor or do not have a strong relationship with them, their recommendation may not hold as much weight.

2. Is it better to have a recommendation from a professor you chat with or one you do research with?

Both types of recommendations can be valuable, but it ultimately depends on your specific situation and the requirements of the program or opportunity you are applying for. A recommendation from a professor you do research with may hold more weight if the program or opportunity is research-focused. However, a recommendation from a professor you chat with may be more beneficial if the program or opportunity values well-roundedness and personal qualities.

3. How should I ask a professor I chat with for a recommendation?

When asking a professor you chat with for a recommendation, it is important to be respectful and professional. Start by scheduling a meeting with the professor to discuss your goals and why you believe their recommendation would be valuable. During the meeting, ask if they would be willing to write a recommendation for you and provide them with any necessary information, such as your resume or a brief summary of your academic accomplishments. Be sure to thank them for their time and consideration.

4. Can a recommendation from a professor you chat with be just as strong as one from a professor you do research with?

Yes, a recommendation from a professor you chat with can be just as strong as one from a professor you do research with. The strength of a recommendation depends on the depth and quality of your relationship with the professor, as well as their ability to speak positively and specifically about your skills and qualities. A professor you chat with may be able to provide unique insights and observations about you that a professor you do research with may not be able to.

5. How many recommendations should I ask for from professors I chat with?

The number of recommendations you should ask for from professors you chat with depends on the requirements of the program or opportunity you are applying for. In general, it is recommended to have at least two or three strong recommendations from different sources. If you have a strong relationship with multiple professors you chat with, you may consider asking for a recommendation from each of them. However, be sure to prioritize quality over quantity and only ask for recommendations from professors who can speak positively and specifically about your abilities and potential.