What is the Best 2D Physics Engine for a Real-Time Simulation Program?

In summary, the speaker is seeking recommendations for a 2D physics engine to use for their program. They prefer a fast engine over a precise one and have experience with C# programming. They also mention wanting to simulate soft bodies affected by fluid drag and needing their code to be efficient. They mention their dislike for dynamic languages but are open to using one if it means finding an amazing physics engine. The person responding suggests looking into the Unity game engine, which was used successfully in a previous project to simulate flying through the Marianas Trench.
omerAF
Hello!

I'm trying to write a 2D program that uses simple physics. I was wondering what would be the best 2D physics engine to use in my case, and if it even matter what engine I choose. I also want my simulation to run in real time, so at least 30 fps on a decent home computer. I prefer a fast physics engine over a precise one.

In my program, I would simulate 2D soft bodies made from springs, and how they are affected by fluid drag. The fluid drag model would be as simple as possible, and would not consider turbulences. However, I want my simulation to have as much objects as possible, so I need my code to be fast and efficient.

By the way, I have experience with c# programming, so that would be my to go language. If not c#, so any other non-dynamic languages, as I really don't like the dynamic ones (but if you have an amazing physics engine working with a dynamic language, I wouldn't resist).

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org

What is a physics engine?

A physics engine is a computer software that simulates real-world physical interactions and behaviors, such as gravity, collisions, and motion. It is commonly used in video game development, virtual reality, and scientific simulations.

Why is it important to use a recommended physics engine?

A recommended physics engine has been tested and optimized for accuracy, stability, and performance. It can save time and resources for developers, ensuring that the physics simulations in their projects are realistic and reliable.

What are some popular recommended physics engines?

Some popular recommended physics engines include Box2D, Bullet, Havok, and PhysX. These engines are widely used in various industries and have been proven to provide accurate and efficient physics simulations.

How do I choose the right physics engine for my project?

Choosing the right physics engine depends on the specific needs and requirements of your project. Factors to consider include the type of simulation needed, platform compatibility, and available resources. It is recommended to research and consult with experts to determine the best fit for your project.

Can I create my own physics engine?

Yes, it is possible to create your own physics engine. However, it requires a strong understanding of physics principles, advanced programming skills, and extensive testing to ensure accuracy and efficiency. For most projects, it is recommended to use an existing physics engine rather than creating one from scratch.