"Reconnection" of magnetic field lines

In summary, during coronal ejections, plasma is ejected from the surface and then drawn back, reconnecting with the surface and forming a visualization of the magnetic field. The concept of magnetic field lines is a neat visualization, but not a comprehensive representation of the true nature of field interactions. Field lines are smooth lines perpendicular to field isolines and are connected field vectors that represent the flight path of a massless charged particle. Their path can change due to local changes in the field.
rumborak
This is a bit vague, but I remember reading that during stuff like coronal ejections, magnetic field lines "reconnect". Now, does that not suppose "loose" magnet lines in the process? Which to my understanding do not exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
The field lines are never broken, It's the plasma being ejected from the surface, which gets drawn back and reconnects with the surface forming an "iron filing" type visualization of the magnetic field.

On one program on the SCI channel, magnetic field lines arcing from the sun were said to "cross". This is the caliber of material you can expect from public entertainment.

jerromyjon said:
The field lines are never broken, It's the plasma being ejected from the surface, which gets drawn back and reconnects with the surface forming an "iron filing" type visualization of the magnetic field.

Thing is, and this actually applies to the concept of magnetic field lines overall, I have a hard time imagining a smooth transformation that transforms two separate magnetic fields into one combined one.
I mean, even for the simplest example where you have two bar magnets, like this:

320px-VFPt_cylindrical_magnets_attracting.svg.png

Now, those two magnets, when they were spaced very fast apart, had all their own field lines terminate back into themselves again. Now, when they were brought closer to each other, field like after field line must have switched at some point to now go into the other bar magnet.

Is this a case of "magnetic field lines are a neat visualization, but that's the limit of their applicability"?
Are magnetic field lines kinda like isolines in topographic maps in that their path simply traces something of constant value? (and just like a river suddenly drastically changing path because a small local value has changed)

The "field lines" themselves don't exist in reality, there is simply a field density at any given point. When you start to draw lines between points it never exactly matches the true nature of the fluidity of the interaction of fields.

Yeah, at this point I kinda figured.

Do they actually have any kind of formal definition? Are they just "smooth lines perpendicular to field isolines"?

rumborak said:
"smooth lines perpendicular to field isolines
Forget lines and visualize that picture as a topological map...

Well, that's why I'm saying perpendicular. The field strength isolines (I.e. the " topo map") would surround the magnet, not go through it.

Field vector?

I was thinking about the field vector, yeah. I guess the field lines are just connected field vectors? I.e. the flight path a massless charged particle (if such a thing existed) would trace.
Which of course would then also explain the "reconnection" part, which really just means that a local change in the field causes the field lines to trace differently.

Last edited:
The field lines are uniform vector potentials.

1. What is the concept of "Reconnection" of magnetic field lines?

The concept of "Reconnection" of magnetic field lines refers to the process in which magnetic field lines with opposite polarity interact and merge, resulting in the release of energy and the formation of new magnetic field configurations.

2. What causes magnetic field lines to "Reconnect"?

Magnetic field lines "Reconnect" due to a change in the configuration or strength of the magnetic field. This can be caused by various factors such as the movement of plasma, the interaction between different magnetic fields, or the release of energy from a magnetic disturbance.

3. How does the "Reconnection" of magnetic field lines impact space weather?

"Reconnection" of magnetic field lines is a major driver of space weather phenomena such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections. These events can disrupt satellite operations, affect radio communications, and create auroras in the Earth's atmosphere.

4. What are the current theories and models for explaining "Reconnection" of magnetic field lines?

There are several theories and models that attempt to explain the process of "Reconnection" of magnetic field lines, including the Sweet-Parker model, the Petschek model, and the Magnetic Reconnection Diffusion model. Each model has its own strengths and limitations and is continuously being studied and refined by scientists.

5. How is the "Reconnection" of magnetic field lines being studied and observed by scientists?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study and observe the "Reconnection" of magnetic field lines, including satellite missions, ground-based observatories, and computer simulations. These tools provide valuable data and insights into the complex processes involved in magnetic field line "Reconnection" and help improve our understanding of this phenomenon.