Recovering, reputation still in doghouse. Advice?

• Thread starter triangleman
  • Start date
In summary: There's no guarantee that any future endeavors will be as successful, but it's worth a shot.In summary, a year ago, an academic error led to a precarious situation for the author, but they turned things around and are now doing well.
triangleman
About one year ago, I was on my knees asking for advice on how to recover from an almost irrecoverable error in my academic career. Several things have changed, and I wanted to see if it is finally safe to stand up, and if a recovery is even possible considering this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=247377".

I am currently a (4+1)-year graduate student at a top-10 school. In October 2008, I was given a chance to rehabilitate my academic and research record in a lab that mostly deals with the brain: my advisor put me on a three-month probation, but I was formally accepted into the lab after one month. The physics department reviewed my petition for re-entry into the program, but declined it because of relevance. Instead, I was given a terminal master's degree in physics and admitted to the biology department to study neuroscience and do medical physics. On January 1st, 2009, I was formally admitted, and effectively started graduate school all over again: coursework requirements, qualifying exams, and research in a new lab. So far, things have been going great: I was put on a named grant in addition to the standard RA that graduate students receive each month, my course grades are decent, and my advisor is letting me take a month-long vacation soon because of productivity.

Would it be a stretch to say, then, that I've decoupled from my past, or will people still hold it against me because of its recency, duration, and magnitude? And is there reason to believe that any recovery will be more than asymptotic? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your transcripts will always be around, but there's no reason to believe that you can't bounce back from a few failed courses. We all learn lessons in life and we can all turn over a new leaf.

It sounds like you found what you really want to do and have turned your situation around. It's probably a combination of increased maturity, increased understanding of what you do and do not want, and the benefit of hindsight.

1. How can I recover my reputation if it is still in the doghouse?

To recover your reputation, it is important to acknowledge and take responsibility for any mistakes or wrongdoings that may have contributed to your negative reputation. Apologize sincerely and make amends if necessary. Additionally, focus on consistently demonstrating positive behavior and actions moving forward.

2. Is it possible to rebuild a damaged reputation?

Yes, it is possible to rebuild a damaged reputation. This process may take time and effort, but by consistently making positive changes and demonstrating good character, you can gradually regain trust and improve your reputation.

3. What steps can I take to improve my reputation?

Some steps you can take to improve your reputation include actively seeking feedback and addressing any areas for improvement, consistently displaying integrity and ethical behavior, and actively engaging in positive actions and contributions within your community or industry.

4. Should I address my negative reputation directly?

In most cases, it is important to address your negative reputation directly. Ignoring it may only allow it to continue and potentially worsen. However, it is important to approach the situation calmly and professionally, and to avoid getting defensive or confrontational.

5. How long does it take to recover a damaged reputation?

The time it takes to recover a damaged reputation can vary depending on the severity of the damage and the steps taken to improve it. It may take weeks, months, or even years to fully recover. The most important thing is to remain consistent and dedicated to improving your actions and behavior over time.