1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recurrence relation for Bessel Functions

1. Aug 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to prove this relation
    ##J_{n-1}(x) + J_{n+1}(x)=\frac{2n}{x}J_{n}(x))##
    from the generating function. The same question was asked in this page with solution.
    http://www.edaboard.com/thread47250.html
    My problem is the part with comparing the coefficient. I don't understand how to compare them. They all have different powers. All pages that i visited have the same solution. Just said "compare the coefficient." They don't explain it.
    Do you have a homepage that contains a detailed solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If two polynomials ##x^2+2x+3## and ##a_3x^3+a_2x^2+a_1x+a_0## are equal, what can you say about the ##a_i##?

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have two power series in ##t## that are supposed to be equal for all ##t##, then for each ##n## the coefficients of ##t^n## must be the same on both sides. So, look at the terms in ##t^0## on both sides; what will that give you? Then look at the terms in ##t^1## on both sides, and see what you get. Now try to extract the terms in ##t^n## on both sides.

Note that if you have something like ##\sum_n a_n t^n + \sum b_n t^{n-1} + \sum_n c_n t^{n+1}## then the terms in ## t^n## are ##(a_n + b_{n+1} + c_{n-1}) t^n##. Do you see why?

5. Aug 13, 2016 #4
    I think i got it.
    Also
    ##a_0=3##
    ##a_1=2##
    ##a_2=1##
    ##a_3=0##

Sorry but i never had to use this method. I dont know why i can change the index "n". Is it because of the summation?

6. Aug 13, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the summation I presented, write out ALL the terms for n = 1, 2 and 3; there are 9 of them. Now pick out all the terms in ##t^2##.

7. Aug 13, 2016 #6
    Thank you. I understand it now.

I got this
    ##(a_1t^1+a_2t^2+a_3t^3+b_1t^0+ b_2t^1+b3t^2+c_1t^2+c_2t^3+c_3t^4##.
    The terms for ##t^2## are
    ##a_2+b_3+c_1##
    Which is the same as

##(a_n + b_{n+1} + c_{n-1}) t^n##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted