Can the Limit of a Recurrence Relation Problem Approach the Square Root of 2?

In summary, a recurrence relation is a mathematical equation used to define a sequence of values based on previous terms. It differs from a regular mathematical equation in that it defines a relationship between a sequence of values rather than variables. Recurrence relations can be used to solve problems related to counting, probability, and optimization, and are commonly used in computer science to model algorithms and data structures. The most common method for solving a recurrence relation is through iteration, but there are also more advanced techniques such as the master theorem. Real-world applications of recurrence relations include modeling population growth, analyzing stock prices, and optimizing resource allocation in production processes.
Saitama
Problem:
Let $a_0$ and $b_0$ be any two positive integers. Define $a_n$, $b_n$ for $n\geq 1$ using the relations $a_n=a_{n-1}+2b_{n-1}$, $b_n=a_{n-1}+b_{n-1}$ and let $c_n=\dfrac{a_n}{b_n}$, for $n=0,1,2,\cdots $.

Write

a)Write $(\sqrt{2}-c_{n+1})$ in terms of $(\sqrt{2}-c_n)$.

b)Show that $|\sqrt{2}-c_{n+1}|<\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2}}|\sqrt{2}-c_n|$.

c)Show that $\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}c_n=\sqrt{2}$.

Attempt:
The following equations are given:
$$a_n=a_{n-1}+2b_{n-1}\,\,\,\,(*)$$
$$b_n=a_{n-1}+b_{n-1}\,\,\,\,\,(**)$$
Subtract the two to obtain:
$$a_n-b_n=b_{n-1}$$
From $(**)$, I can write $b_{n+1}-b_n=a_n$. Substituting this in above gives:
$$b_{n+1}-2b_n-b_{n-1}=0$$
The solution to above recurrence relation is: $b_n=A(1+\sqrt{2})^n+B(1-\sqrt{2})^n$ where $A$ and $B$ are constants. Since $b_{n+1}-b_n=a_n$, I also have: $a_n=\sqrt{2}\left(A(1+\sqrt{2})^n-B(1-\sqrt{2})^n\right)$. Hence,
$$c_n=\sqrt{2}\frac{A(1+\sqrt{2})^n-B(1-\sqrt{2})^n}{A(1+\sqrt{2})^n+B(1-\sqrt{2})^n}$$
I can easily solve the c) part from the above.

I tried writing down the expressions for $\sqrt{2}-c_n$ and $\sqrt{2}-c_{n+1}$ but I don't see how to relate the two.
$$\sqrt{2}-c_n=\frac{2\sqrt{2}B(1-\sqrt{2})^n}{A(1+\sqrt{2})^n+B(1-\sqrt{2})^n}$$
$$\sqrt{2}-c_{n+1}=\frac{2\sqrt{2}B(1-\sqrt{2})^{n+1}}{A(1+\sqrt{2})^{n+1}+B(1-\sqrt{2})^{n+1}}$$
I don't see where to proceed from here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:
Let $a_0$ and $b_0$ be any two positive integers. Define $a_n$, $b_n$ for $n\geq 1$ using the relations $a_n=a_{n-1}+2b_{n-1}$, $b_n=a_{n-1}+b_{n-1}$ and let $c_n=\dfrac{a_n}{b_n}$, for $n=0,1,2,\cdots $.

Write

a)Write $(\sqrt{2}-c_{n+1})$ in terms of $(\sqrt{2}-c_n)$.

b)Show that $|\sqrt{2}-c_{n+1}|<\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2}}|\sqrt{2}-c_n|$.

c)Show that $\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}c_n=\sqrt{2}$.

In my opinion the first step is to find the $a_{n}$ and $b_{n}$ in the following way. Defining $\overrightarrow{x}_{n}= (a_{n},b_{n})$ You have the difference equation...

$\displaystyle \overrightarrow{x}_{n+1} =\overrightarrow{x}_{n}\ A\ (1)$

...where...

$\displaystyle A = \left | \begin{matrix} 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 1 \end{matrix} \right |\ (2)$

The solution of (1) is...

$\displaystyle \overrightarrow{x}_{n} = \overrightarrow{x}_{0}\ A^{n}\ (3)$

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
In my opinion the first step is to find the $a_{n}$ and $b_{n}$ in the following way. Defining $\overrightarrow{x}_{n}= (a_{n},b_{n})$ You have the difference equation...

$\displaystyle \overrightarrow{x}_{n+1} =\overrightarrow{x}_{n}\ A\ (1)$

...where...

$\displaystyle A = \left | \begin{matrix} 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 1 \end{matrix} \right |\ (2)$

The solution of (1) is...

$\displaystyle \overrightarrow{x}_{n} = \overrightarrow{x}_{0}\ A^{n}\ (3)$

Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

I have no idea what you did there. :confused:

Is it not possible to continue with my approach?

Pranav said:
Is it not possible to continue with my approach?
Instead of subtracting (**) from (*), have you tried dividing (*) by (**)? You will get $$ c_{n+1} = \frac{a_{n+1}}{b_{n+1}} = \frac{a_n+2b_n}{a_n + b_n} = \frac{c_n + 2}{c_n + 1}.$$ Then $$\sqrt2 - c_{n+1} = \sqrt2 - \frac{c_n + 2}{c_n + 1}.$$ Put the right-hand side of that over a common denominator and you will get some sort of an answer to (a). I think that this must be what the question setter had in mind, rather than finding explicit expressions for $\sqrt2 - c_{n+1}$ and $\sqrt2 - c_{n}$ (which as you have discovered are quite complicated).

Opalg said:
Instead of subtracting (**) from (*), have you tried dividing (*) by (**)? You will get $$ c_{n+1} = \frac{a_{n+1}}{b_{n+1}} = \frac{a_n+2b_n}{a_n + b_n} = \frac{c_n + 2}{c_n + 1}.$$ Then $$\sqrt2 - c_{n+1} = \sqrt2 - \frac{c_n + 2}{c_n + 1}.$$ Put the right-hand side of that over a common denominator and you will get some sort of an answer to (a). I think that this must be what the question setter had in mind, rather than finding explicit expressions for $\sqrt2 - c_{n+1}$ and $\sqrt2 - c_{n}$ (which as you have discovered are quite complicated).

No, I did not think of dividing them.

Rearranging, I get:
$$\sqrt{2}-c_{n+1}=\frac{(\sqrt{2}-c_n)(1-\sqrt{2})}{c_n+1}$$
This solve a).

$$\Rightarrow |\sqrt{2}-c_{n+1}|=\left|\frac{(\sqrt{2}-c_n)(1-\sqrt{2})}{c_n+1}\right|=\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{2}}\left|\frac{\sqrt{2}-c_n}{c_n+1}\right|$$
How to show that the inequality holds?

Opalg, can you please give me some hints about the inequality part? I honestly don't know how to show that. :(

Pranav said:
can you please give me some hints about the inequality part?
Divide (*) by (**) to get $$ c_{n+1} = \frac{a_{n+1}}{b_{n+1}} = \frac{a_n+2b_n}{a_n+b_n} = \frac{c_n+2}{c_n+1}.$$ It follows that $$\bigl|\sqrt2-c_{n+1}\bigr| = \Bigl|\frac{\sqrt2(c_n+1) - (c_n+2)}{c_n+1}\Bigr| = \frac{\bigl|(\sqrt2-1)c_n - \sqrt2(\sqrt2-1)\bigr|}{c_n + 1} = \frac{(\sqrt2 - 1)\bigl|c_n-\sqrt2\bigr|}{c_n+1} < (\sqrt2 - 1)\bigl|c_n-\sqrt2\bigr|$$ (because $c_n>0$ and so the denominator of that fraction is greater than $1$). Also, $\sqrt2 - 1 = \frac{(\sqrt2 - 1)(\sqrt2 + 1)}{\sqrt2 + 1} = \frac1{\sqrt2 + 1},$ so that $$\bigl|\sqrt2-c_{n+1}\bigr| < \tfrac1{\sqrt2 + 1}\bigl|c_n-\sqrt2\bigr|.$$

Opalg said:
Divide (*) by (**) to get $$ c_{n+1} = \frac{a_{n+1}}{b_{n+1}} = \frac{a_n+2b_n}{a_n+b_n} = \frac{c_n+2}{c_n+1}.$$ It follows that $$\bigl|\sqrt2-c_{n+1}\bigr| = \Bigl|\frac{\sqrt2(c_n+1) - (c_n+2)}{c_n+1}\Bigr| = \frac{\bigl|(\sqrt2-1)c_n - \sqrt2(\sqrt2-1)\bigr|}{c_n + 1} = \frac{(\sqrt2 - 1)\bigl|c_n-\sqrt2\bigr|}{c_n+1} < (\sqrt2 - 1)\bigl|c_n-\sqrt2\bigr|$$ (because $c_n>0$ and so the denominator of that fraction is greater than $1$). Also, $\sqrt2 - 1 = \frac{(\sqrt2 - 1)(\sqrt2 + 1)}{\sqrt2 + 1} = \frac1{\sqrt2 + 1},$ so that $$\bigl|\sqrt2-c_{n+1}\bigr| < \tfrac1{\sqrt2 + 1}\bigl|c_n-\sqrt2\bigr|.$$

Thank you Opalg! It was silly of me for not noticing that $c_n>0$. :eek:

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of values based on one or more previous terms in the sequence. It is often used to model a problem or phenomenon that can be broken down into smaller, simpler parts.

2. How is a recurrence relation different from a regular mathematical equation?

A regular mathematical equation defines a relationship between two or more variables, whereas a recurrence relation defines a relationship between a sequence of values. Additionally, a recurrence relation often involves using previous terms in the sequence to calculate the next term, whereas a regular equation does not.

3. What types of problems can be solved using recurrence relations?

Recurrence relations are commonly used to solve problems related to counting, probability, and optimization. They can also be used to model and analyze algorithms and data structures in computer science.

4. How do you solve a recurrence relation problem?

The most common method for solving a recurrence relation is through iteration, where you use previous terms in the sequence to calculate the next term until you reach the desired value. There are also more advanced techniques, such as the master theorem, that can be used to solve specific types of recurrence relations.

5. What are some real-world applications of recurrence relations?

Recurrence relations have many applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. Some examples include modeling population growth, analyzing stock prices, and optimizing resource allocation in production processes.