Recurrence relations - intuition

In summary, you are looking for websites or books that can help you better understand recurrence relations.
Avatrin
Hi

My calculus textbook is completely crap at explaining recurrence relations. I know the theorems needed to solve difference equations analytically, but I do not understand why they are true.

What websites and/or books can I read to get a better intuitive understanding of recurrence relations?

PS. I am not asking how to solve some specific type of recurrence relation. Homogeneous, non-homogeneous, linear, non-linear, first-order and second order recurrence relations are all relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Avatrin,

Recurrence relations are a way to express a function by using that same function in it's definition. There is usually a base case (at least in any I can remember). Then the solution set can be built iteratively. Take the Fibonacci sequence: 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13, etc
The sequence is just defined with 2 terms at the start F(0) = 0 and F(1) = 1. Then a relationship F(n)=F(n-1) + F(n-2). This is where things start to get confusing, at least for me, there are a lot of different way to express a set or solution in mathematics. Strangely mathematicians get uncomfortable when something is expressed in terms of itself (like the definition of numbers). The details are http://ulcar.uml.edu/~iag/CS/Fibonacci.html" , but a closed form expression is just a different way (usually much harder and less intuitive) to represent the solution. The benefit comes in calculation of F(n) when n is large. If we wanted a fast way to compute F(1000) the closed solution would directly provide an answer, but the recursive would require computations of all the previous solutions up to n.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what recurrence relations are, and I know how to solve them numerically. However, I do not understand the analytic solutions to them.

For instance, I know the solution of a linear second-order, homogeneous recurrence relation has the form:
x_n = Cr_1^n + Dr_2^n
Where r_1 and r_2 are the roots of a quadratic equation derived from the original recurrence relation.
... But, I do not understand why (the proof in my textbook was pointless)..

I would be able to solve a linear, second-order homogeneous recurrence relation, but I do not understand the process.

Avatrin,

Sorry I glossed over the important part. If I understand correctly, you would like to see the proof of the application of the characteristic polynomial solutions. http://condor.depaul.edu/ntomuro/courses/415/notes/lecture8.html" starts the proof and continues with the cases. It's a proof by induction similar to the tower of hanoi inductive proof from the other site.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of numbers or values in terms of one or more previous terms in the sequence. It is a way to recursively define a sequence, where each term is dependent on the previous terms.

2. How are recurrence relations useful?

Recurrence relations are useful for modeling and solving problems that involve sequential or repetitive processes. They can be used to analyze algorithms, study the growth of populations, and solve various counting problems.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear recurrence relation?

A linear recurrence relation is one where the next term in the sequence is a linear combination of the previous terms. In other words, the terms are added or subtracted together to get the next term. A nonlinear recurrence relation, on the other hand, involves nonlinear operations such as multiplication, division, or exponentiation to generate the next term.

4. How can I solve a recurrence relation?

There are several methods for solving recurrence relations, including substitution, iteration, and generating functions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the recurrence relation. In some cases, it may also be possible to find a closed-form solution using techniques such as the characteristic polynomial method.

5. Are there real-world applications of recurrence relations?

Yes, recurrence relations have many real-world applications in fields such as computer science, physics, biology, and economics. For example, in computer science, they are used to analyze the time complexity of algorithms. In physics, they can be used to model oscillating systems. In economics, they can be used to study population growth and market trends.