Recursive equation for an integral

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: CWhen you integrate by parts, you need to choose u wisely. It should be something that when you take its derivative, it makes the whole expression simpler. In this case, u = 1/(1-x2)3/2, and dv = x dx. Does that make sense?In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a recursive equation for the integral I_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^{n+1/2}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx by using various approaches, such as integrating by parts and using trigonometric substitutions. Eventually, the correct equation is found to be I_{n+2}= \frac{2n+3}{2n
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i have:
[tex]I_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^{n+1/2}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]

and i need to find a recursive equation for the above integral, and this is what i got so far:
[tex]I_n=\left[x^{n+1/2}*arcsin(x)\right]_{0}^{1}+(n+1/2)\int_{0}^{1}x^{n-1/2}arcsin(x)dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try multiplying the top and bottom of the original integrand by 1-x2.

it still doesn't work, because i get an integral with x^(n+3/2)/(sqrt(1-x^2))^3, where i should get an integral of x^(n+3/2)/(sqrt(1-x^2)).

Uhmm, I just want to ask, is it (n + 1) / 2 or n + (1 / 2)?
Is it:
[tex]I_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^{n+ \frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]
or
[tex]I_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^{\frac{n + 1}{2}}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]?

it's n+(1/2)

HINT: Consider [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[x^{n+\frac{1}{2}}\sqrt{1-x^2}][/tex].

Once you have obtained the recursive equation, you will just need to modify it slightly to obtain [tex]I_{n}[/tex] in terms of [tex]I_{n-2}[/tex].

Last edited:
You can use StatusX's hint to solve your problem. And also you should choose u, and v wisely.
[tex]I_n = \int_0 ^ 1 \frac{x ^ {n + \frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}} dx = \int_0 ^ 1 \frac{x ^ {n + \frac{1}{2}} (1 + x ^ 2)}{\sqrt{(1 - x ^ 2) ^ 3}} dx = - \frac{1}{2} \int_0 ^ 1 \frac{x ^ {n - \frac{1}{2}} (1 + x ^ 2)}{\sqrt{(1 - x ^ 2) ^ 3}} d(1 - x ^ 2)[/tex]
[tex]= \int_0 ^ 1 x ^ {n - \frac{1}{2}} (1 + x ^ 2) d \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}} \right)[/tex]
Now let [tex]u = x ^ {n - \frac{1}{2}} (1 + x ^ 2)[/tex], and [tex]dv = d \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x ^ 2}} \right)[/tex].
Can you go from here? :)
Recheck my maths if possible. I'm having a slight headache. :frown:

loop quantum gravity said:
it still doesn't work, because i get an integral with x^(n+3/2)/(sqrt(1-x^2))^3, where i should get an integral of x^(n+3/2)/(sqrt(1-x^2)).

You should split the integral into the sum of two integrals, both of the form xsomething/(1-x2)3/2. These can both be integrated by parts to get two boundary terms (which must be combined before being evaluated), and multiples of Im for a couple values of m.

Last edited:
Use x=sin(u)

Use the substitution [tex]x=\sin u[/tex] so that [tex]dx=\cos u du[/tex] to get

[tex]I_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^{n+1/2}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin ^{n+1/2} u du [/tex]​

The recurrence you are looking for is [tex]I_{n+2}=f(n)I_{n}[/tex]
where f(n) is a rational function of n.

P.S. (the one you are not looking for is [tex]I_{n}I_{n+1}=\frac{\pi}{2n+3}[/tex])

benorin, i tried your approach but still didn't get a recursive eq, here what i got:
[tex]I_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^{n+1/2}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin ^{n+1/2} (t) dt=\left[tsin^{n+1/2}(t)\right]_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}-\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}(n+1/2)sin^{n-1/2}(t)d(sin(t))[/tex]

Last edited:
and statusx, here what i got from your appraoch:
[tex]I_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^{n+1/2}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx=\left[\frac{x^{n+3/2}}{(n+3/2)(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{3}}\right]_{0}^{1}-\int_{0}^{1}\frac{3x^{n+5/2}}{(n+3/2)(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{5}}dx-\left[\frac{x^{2n+2}}{(2n+2)(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{3}}\right]_{0}^{1}+\int_{0}^{1}3/(2n+2)\frac{x^{2n+3}}{(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{5}}dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Use a trick

[tex]I_{n+2}=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin ^{n+2+1/2} u du [/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin ^{n+1/2} u\sin ^{2} u du [/tex]
[tex]= \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin ^{n+1/2} u(1-\cos ^{2} u) du [/tex]
[tex]= \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin ^{n+1/2} u du -\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin ^{n+1/2} u\cos ^{2} u du [/tex]
[tex]= I_{n}-\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \sin ^{n+1/2} u\cos u\right) \cos u du[/tex]
integration by parts (in the last integral): put

[tex]U=\cos u, dU = -\sin u, dV=\sin ^{n+1/2} u\cos u du, V=\frac{1}{n+1+1/2}\sin ^{n+1+1/2} u[/tex]

to get

[tex]I_{n+2}= I_{n}-\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \left( \sin ^{n+1/2} u\cos u\right) \cos u du [/tex]
[tex]= I_{n}-\left[ \frac{1}{n+2+1/2}\cos u\sin ^{n+2+1/2} u \right] _{u=0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} - \frac{1}{n+1+1/2}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin ^{n+2+1/2} u du [/tex]
[tex]=I_{n}- \frac{1}{n+1+1/2}I_{n+2}[/tex]

rewritten this becomes [tex]I_{n+2}=I_{n}- \frac{2}{2n+3}I_{n+2}[/tex]

which gives what your after, namely [tex] I_{n+2}= \frac{2n+3}{2n+5}I_{n}[/tex]

Last edited:
loop quantum gravity said:
and statusx, here what i got from your appraoch:
[tex]I_n=\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x^{n+1/2}}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx=\left[\frac{x^{n+3/2}}{(n+3/2)(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{3}}\right]_{0}^{1}-\int_{0}^{1}\frac{3x^{n+5/2}}{(n+3/2)(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{5}}dx-\left[\frac{x^{2n+2}}{(2n+2)(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{3}}\right]_{0}^{1}+\int_{0}^{1}3/(2n+2)\frac{x^{2n+3}}{(\sqrt{1-x^2})^{5}}dx[/tex]

I think you're taking the wrong u and dv. Remember:

[tex]\int \frac{x}{(1-x^2)^{3/2}}dx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

1. What is a recursive equation for an integral?

A recursive equation for an integral is a mathematical formula that expresses a function in terms of its own previous values. It involves breaking down a complex integral into smaller, simpler ones and then using those values to solve for the original integral.

2. How is a recursive equation for an integral different from a regular integral equation?

A regular integral equation involves solving for the definite or indefinite integral of a given function using standard integration techniques. A recursive equation, on the other hand, involves using the previous values of a function to solve for the current value, making it a more iterative process.

3. What is the purpose of using a recursive equation for an integral?

The purpose of using a recursive equation for an integral is to simplify the integration process for complex functions. By breaking down the integral into smaller, simpler ones, it becomes easier to solve and can be done in a more efficient manner.

4. Are there any limitations to using a recursive equation for an integral?

Yes, there are limitations to using a recursive equation for an integral. It may not be applicable for all types of functions and may not always provide an exact solution. In some cases, it may also require a large number of iterations to converge to the desired solution.

5. Can a recursive equation for an integral be used for both definite and indefinite integrals?

Yes, a recursive equation for an integral can be used for both definite and indefinite integrals. However, the method of solving may differ for each type of integral. For definite integrals, the process involves breaking down the integral into smaller ones and then using those values to solve for the final integral. For indefinite integrals, it may involve finding a general solution and then using initial conditions to determine the specific solution.