Recursive integral using integration by pars

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of integrating by parts and finding a recursive form. Different attempts were made using different g' and f combinations, but none led to a simplification that could be integrated to the desired form. The suggestion to use x as either f or g was made, but the conversation ended with the asker being stuck again.
oferon
First excuse my bad english on math subjects. I'm working on it.

How can I integrate by parts:
[tex] I_{m}=\int\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^m}\,dx[/tex]

I need to find a recursive form,
But I can't find the right g' and f to get this done...

I've tried
[tex] g'=1 \quad\,\quad\ f=\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^m}[/tex]
As well as [tex]g' = \frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)}\quad\ →g=arctan(x/a)\ , \quad\ f=\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^{m-1}} [/tex]

But on the next integral of g*f ' , I can't find any way to simplify it to Im-1 or another integration by parts that will lead somewhere.

Which g' and f should I pick for this integral then? Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi oferon! welcome to pf! :smile:

(btw, your english is fine … on this post at least :wink:)

(i haven't tried it myself :redface:, but …)

my guess is that the trick is to write it (x2 + a2)/(x2 + a2)m+1,

and then use x as f or g

Hi tim, thanks for your kind reply :redface:

Which "x" do you reffer to saying "and then use x as f or g" ?

I've tried the trick you suggested using:

[tex] g'=x^2+a^2 \quad\, \quad\ f=\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^{m+1}} [/tex]

but all I get is:

[tex] \frac{arctan(\frac{x}{a})}{(x^2+a^2)^{m+1}} - ∫arctan(\frac{x}{a})*\frac{-2x(m+1)}{(x^2+a^2)^{m+2}}[/tex]

And now I'm stuck all over again..

hi oferon! :smile:

hint: x2/(x2 + a2) = x(x/(x2 + a2)) :wink:

What is a recursive integral?

A recursive integral is an integration problem that involves using a recursive formula to solve for the integral. This means that the integration process is repeated multiple times until the desired solution is reached.

How is integration by parts used in recursive integrals?

Integration by parts is a method used to solve integration problems that involve a product of two functions. In recursive integrals, integration by parts is used repeatedly in each step of the recursion to solve for the integral.

Why is integration by parts useful for solving recursive integrals?

Integration by parts allows for the integration of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts. In recursive integrals, this method is particularly useful because it can be applied repeatedly, making it easier to solve the integral step by step.

What are some common techniques used in solving recursive integrals using integration by parts?

Some common techniques used in solving recursive integrals using integration by parts include choosing appropriate u and v functions, applying the integration by parts formula, and setting up a recursive formula to solve for the integral.

Can recursive integrals be solved without using integration by parts?

Yes, recursive integrals can be solved using other integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions. However, integration by parts is often the most efficient method for solving recursive integrals.