Red giants and angular momentum question

In summary, the conversation discusses the future of our Sun and its expansion into a Red Giant stage. The speaker ponders what would happen to planets, specifically Mercury, as the star expands. They suggest that the planet would not spiral into the star due to its retained angular momentum, and instead would evaporate and diffuse. They also mention that the temperature of the star's surface would be hot enough to evaporate everything. The speaker invites others to share their evaluations on the matter.
ko_kyi
I was watching a Discovery channel program about the future of our Sun (and any similar star). They were describing the expansion of the star as it goes to Red Giant stage, and how it would eventually expand to include Mercury. At first I thought that the molten planet would slow due to friction within the perimeter of the star and spiral down into the core, but then it occurred to me that the expanded star would still retain the angular momentum, and the gas molecules might be orbiting the center of gravity at the same speed, so the blob of ex-Mercury would just continue as it evaporated away. Correct? Incorrect?

Just one of the weird things I ponder. I'd love to hear some evaluations of what would happen. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
5000K (red giant surface) is enough to evaporate everything. My guess is that planets will evaporate and diffuse. Angular momentum will be there, just as a part of total angular momentum of the star.

What are red giants?

Red giants are stars that have reached the end of their lifespan and have expanded to a larger size and become cooler in temperature. They are typically larger and brighter than main sequence stars, and their surface temperature is around 5,000-6,000 Kelvin.

How do red giants form?

Red giants form when a star has exhausted most of its hydrogen fuel and begins to fuse helium in its core. This fusion process causes the outer layers of the star to expand and cool, resulting in a red giant. This process can take millions of years to occur.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotation of an object around its axis. In the case of stars, it is the measure of how fast a star is spinning on its axis. This can affect the star's shape, size, and overall behavior.

How does angular momentum affect red giants?

As red giants expand and cool, they also experience a decrease in angular momentum. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, where a larger, slower-spinning star has the same total angular momentum as a smaller, faster-spinning star. This change in angular momentum can affect the star's appearance and behavior.

What is the relationship between red giants and angular momentum?

Red giants and angular momentum are closely related, as the expansion and cooling of a star can result in a decrease in angular momentum. This change can also affect the star's internal structure and can lead to changes in its rotation rate and magnetic field. Further research is still being done to fully understand the relationship between red giants and angular momentum.