Dealing with Road Rage: Coasting Up to Red Lights

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lights
In summary, people who drive like this annoy those of us who drive more safely by taking our foot off the gas and coasting up to the red light.
Friday evening the NJTP between exits 6 and 8A is a parking lot. I'd like to see the cops hand out tickets to all the people doing under 5mph. As for left and right, I always thought it was a waste here in the US that we only drive on the right hand side of the road thus underutilizing our highways by 50%. As I understand it, the British are more efficient as they do use the left hand side of the road.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feel free to ask the government for a clearer definition; they wrote the law. Because you find it unclear does not mean you get to ignore it.
I don't. It's unclear, so I interpreted it.
Regardless, they are not being hypocritical. By your doing so (preaching one thing and practicing another) you are arguing in bad faith. And that erodes your credibility.
What do I preach that I don't practice?

leroyjenkens said:

You complain that others are breaking the law, now you are turning around and deliberately misinterpreting a law for your own benefit so as to pretend you are not breaking it.

DaveC426913 said:
leroyjenkens said:

You complain that others are breaking the law, now you are turning around and deliberately misinterpreting a law for your own benefit so as to pretend you are not breaking it.

You two are going to make me crazy.
Why don't you both get a gps, log your trips to work, upload them http://chargecar.org/participate" , then the P.forum members can look how you both drive and make a poll of who should have their license revoked for being a silly driver.

And they let us download http://chargecar.org/data" on the interstate! Woo Hoo! Law breaking rebel!

I'll bet you 5 dollars it was Tsu.

Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
You two are going to make me crazy.
Why don't you both get a gps, log your trips to work, upload them http://chargecar.org/participate" , then the P.forum members can look how you both drive and make a poll of who should have their license revoked for being a silly driver.

And they let us download http://chargecar.org/data" on the interstate! Woo Hoo! Law breaking rebel!

I'll bet you 5 dollars it was Tsu.

81.31 through Oregon. Thats like 130 km/h... not that bad lol I remember coming home one time from a trip to New Brunswick with my cousin and I looked down at the spedometer and he was going 180. Never gone that fast before...

Sorry! said:
I remember coming home one time from a trip to New Brunswick with my cousin and I looked down at the spedometer and he was going 180.
New Brunswick New Jersey? :lol What road was that? It would take a really nice highway to allow someone to drive that fast and live to tell about it.

TurtleMeister said:
New Brunswick New Jersey? :lol What road was that? It would take a really nice highway to allow someone to drive that fast and live to tell about it.

Noooo new brunswick in Canada. haha I was talking about a trip I took wasn't referencing anything else anyone else wrote... As well it was on the TransCanada highway just before montreal.

Sorry! said:
Noooo new brunswick in Canada. haha I was talking about a trip I took wasn't referencing anything else anyone else wrote... As well it was on the TransCanada highway just before montreal.
I'm not familiar with TransCanada highway, but it must be a nice one if you can go that fast. Like the autobahn maybe? You'd be hard pressed to find a highway on east coast US like that. I remember one time (when I was younger) going 130 and it really spooked me. It only takes very minor dips and rises in the road to make the car unstable at those speeds.

TurtleMeister said:
I'm not familiar with TransCanada highway, but it must be a nice one if you can go that fast. Like the autobahn maybe? You'd be hard pressed to find a highway on east coast US like that. I remember one time (when I was younger) going 130 and it really spooked me. It only takes very minor dips and rises in the road to make the car unstable at those speeds.

130 km/h is an average speed on the highways around here. 180 km/h is only about 110 mph. (If you're talking in mph I don't really know. lol) It was pretty smooth going though

lol not only am I in the wrong country, I'm in the wrong uints. But even 110mph around here would be a gamble with your life.

lisab said:
There are, but they're very rare. Usually, you see them up steep grades (and the usual wording is "Slower Traffic Keep Right").

One big difference between US and European driving: in the US it's common practice to pass on the right or left, whichever suits your fancy at the time.

I don't remember seeing that in any of the European countries I've visited.

Undertaking is frowned upon if not illegal in the UK. I think they can do you under careless driving for it.

The transCanada varies a lot, it's a bit like route 66 - the number is used on a bunch of local roads - it isn't a single freeway, and a lot of it isn't even freeway. Generally speed limits in Canada are lower, most freeways are 80-100km/h (50-60mph)

The UK's speed limit on a divided highway is 70mph (110km/h) and overtaking on the inside is illegal as it is in all european countries (I have driven in).
France's speed limits on freeways are 130km/h (80mph) dry and 110km/h (65mph) wet.

Germany has unlimited speeds on a few freeways. There's a funny bit in "Gone in 60 seconds" where the car thief's American car has Nitrox boosters and reaches speeds of 110mph - and the cop in a series7 BMW can't catch him! in Germany the taxis drive to the airport faster than this.

I tried to break it down to understand it's meaning, but you didn't want to help me out, so I had to interpret it myself. So long as I'm going at least the normal speed of traffic, I can stay in the left lane. Well that's what I do. If someone who is going faster than the normal speed of traffic wants to pass me, well that's just too bad.
I tried to ask what the normal speed of traffic was, but you didn't want to help me out, so I decided that it's the average speed of all the cars on the road, up to the maximum speed limit. If they're going above the maximum speed limit, then the normal speed of traffic is the speed limit. There's no reason to believe the speed limit law is superseded in this instance. I believe the law you quoted is put in place with the assumption that people aren't going over the speed limit.
Since when are you allowed to break the law depending on whether or not everyone else is at the time?

leroyjenkens said:
If someone who is going faster than the normal speed of traffic wants to pass me, well that's just too bad.
Why?

I mean, why be a jerk?

Is that what Jesus would do? :wink:

Part of one's character is what one does regardless of provocation.

Are you a cusser? If we got into an argument and I started cussing at you, could
I provoke you into responding in kind? If on the road, could I get you to flip me the bird?

One thing I've tried to drill into my kids is that, as long as they define their own behaviour by someone else's actions, then they have simply not defined themselves yet.

leroyjenkens said:
If I'm coming up on a light that just turned red, I take my foot off the gas and just coast up to it. For no apparent reason, this drives people behind me crazy. Just today I had some guy speed up around me a thousand MPH and cut in front of my really fast as if to say "take that for going slow", just so he can come to a quick stop 20 yards later. And then he just stared at me through his side mirror, I guess waiting for me to give him a look or something so he can get out with his gun and shoot me or whatever it is crazy people do nowadays.
Anyway, this is just something that I won't relent on. I refuse to waste my gas, speeding up to a red light or a train crossing when a train is coming just to appease the lunatics behind me.
I love it when someone speeds up in the other lane, stops at a light 50 yards ahead and then I coast up and pass him just as it turns green. I didn't waste my gas or my break pads and I'm now ahead of him again.
But of course I'm smart enough to realize that not everyone can drive like that, since we'd have roads backed up with people coasting up to red lights. So I guess we need the stupid people to keep the roads clear. The people who speed up to a train stop just so they can slam on the breaks as if they thought the mile long train would just vanish by the time they reached the crossing.
It's not their fault they're stupid and can't put 2 and 2 together, but they don't have to be crazy about it.
YEAH I do t he same thing. another reason i coast is because i hope that by the time i reach the light it wil turn green again. i also hate the people who move forward 2 inches every 15 seconds. lol

when i drive home from school at 10pm, i drive along this highway that has one lane for each direction your going (people going south are on side with people going north right next to them in the next lane) i always go the speed limit, but i regularly have p[eople who go right into the oppposing traffic lane to pass me and get to the red light faster. the lines seperating the lanes are double yellow!

Why on Earth would you cruise in an overtaking lane when not overtaking anyway? There is no logical reason for it, apart from being deliberately awkward. Just pull over one lane, you are still going the speed you want to go, but are allowing others the opportunity to pass you.

Your 'sucks to be you' attitude towards other road users is probably the worst attidude you can have. It shows a lack of respect towards other road users. Deliberately and KNOWINGLY sitting in an overtaking lane (where people are inevitably going over the speed limit) going slower than the traffic in that lane, is as obnoxious as the white van man (dont know if you have them over in the US) sitting right up your arse.

On a positive note I'm with you on the coasting red light thing though. There is absolutely nothing wrong with slowing down in a light is on red in the distance. You don't gain or lose time, and you are driving in a more economic fasion.

xxChrisxx said:
Why on Earth would you cruise in an overtaking lane when not overtaking anyway?
It's a little different in the US, you can overtake on the inside(right) so there is no rule to move into the right lane after overtaking. There are rules (or at least recommendations) not to make unnecessary lane changes.
Also the right most lane generally goes off at each junction and rejoins as the on-ramp, so you need to keep out of it (US road signage is a mess) and generally you want to keep out of the lane immediately to the left of it as well in heavy traffic.

On my way to work is I-295 which has three lanes in each direction. Once I get on the highway and up to speed, I turn on the cruise control. I don't like to turn it off if I don't have to. I get in the middle lane and cruise to work. Apparently, no one else uses cruise control. The right lane is not suitable for cruise control because there are cars getting on and off. The left lane is not suitable for me because I am not speeding and I prefer to stay out of the speeders' lane. When traffic builds up and slows down in the middle lane, I do move over to the left lane in order to pass. That's when the guy who had been ahead of me realizes that I am passing him and he speeds up. Now I am stranded in the left lane. I can't legally speed up to pass the guy and I can't slow down unless I get out of cruise control. So I just ride the left lane neck and neck with the newly awakened driver to my right who is edging ahead of me. I won't get back in the middle lane until I can do so without tailgating him. Now the driver behind me moves into the middle lane meaning that I can't get back in the middle lane until both cars clear me. More and more cars move out of the left lane into the middle lane which has now become the fast lane and I am trapped for hours and hours. Meaning a few minutes, it just feels like hours. It doesn't really matter, but it makes me nervous to be passed on the right.

mgb_phys said:
It's a little different in the US, you can overtake on the inside(right) so there is no rule to move into the right lane after overtaking. There are rules (or at least recommendations) not to make unnecessary lane changes.
Also the right most lane generally goes off at each junction and rejoins as the on-ramp, so you need to keep out of it (US road signage is a mess) and generally you want to keep out of the lane immediately to the left of it as well in heavy traffic.

I see, well that makes a bit more sense then as by sitting on the outside lane you aren't blocking everything up. Sounds like a bloody complicated way of doing it though. I can see you having to be much more alert if you've got cars overtaking both ways. Like the example above.

xxChrisxx said:
I see, well that makes a bit more sense then as by sitting on the outside lane you aren't blocking everything up. Sounds like a bloody complicated way of doing it though. I can see you having to be much more alert if you've got cars overtaking both ways. Like the example above.

I don't think passing on either side is inherently more dangerous than only passing on the left (or right, for UK-style systems), *as long as it's customary*. One key to safe driving is to not do things that other drivers on the road aren't expecting.

I learned to drive in a "pass in any lane" place, so I'm well used to it, and know to scan all mirrors every few seconds when I'm on a multi-lane road (and always check blind spots on both sides when changing lanes).

I can imagine for a driver not used to it, it would seem hazardous.

jimmysnyder said:
On my way to work is I-295 which has three lanes in each direction. Once I get on the highway and up to speed, I turn on the cruise control. I don't like to turn it off if I don't have to. I get in the middle lane and cruise to work. Apparently, no one else uses cruise control. The right lane is not suitable for cruise control because there are cars getting on and off. The left lane is not suitable for me because I am not speeding and I prefer to stay out of the speeders' lane. When traffic builds up and slows down in the middle lane, I do move over to the left lane in order to pass. That's when the guy who had been ahead of me realizes that I am passing him and he speeds up. Now I am stranded in the left lane. I can't legally speed up to pass the guy and I can't slow down unless I get out of cruise control. So I just ride the left lane neck and neck with the newly awakened driver to my right who is edging ahead of me. I won't get back in the middle lane until I can do so without tailgating him. Now the driver behind me moves into the middle lane meaning that I can't get back in the middle lane until both cars clear me. More and more cars move out of the left lane into the middle lane which has now become the fast lane and I am trapped for hours and hours. Meaning a few minutes, it just feels like hours. It doesn't really matter, but it makes me nervous to be passed on the right.
I frequently drive I-95 along the east coast (including I-295) and what you describe is very common for me also. What makes it even more frustrating is when you're stuck in the left lane and Mr. Speedster comes up behind you and rides your bumper. After a while I will just give in and speed up, well over the speed limit, just to get back in the center lane. It really irks me when people drive on these roads without cruise control.

xxChrisxx said:
I can see you having to be much more alert if you've got cars overtaking both ways.
Yes, but at least you expect it and it means the little old lady doing 50 in the middle lane doesn't block the entire motorway.

The main danger is people randomly changing lanes in traffic to get 1 car ahead or swooping across 4 lanes to get to an exit. If only they had indicators it would help.

xxChrisxx said:

That's okay. Americans learn just about every aspect of driving.

For example: How to Vomit While Driving

BobG said:

WHAT! no video :yuck:

xxChrisxx said:
Why on Earth would you cruise in an overtaking lane when not overtaking anyway? There is no logical reason for it, apart from being deliberately awkward. Just pull over one lane, you are still going the speed you want to go, but are allowing others the opportunity to pass you.

Your 'sucks to be you' attitude towards other road users is probably the worst attidude you can have. It shows a lack of respect towards other road users. Deliberately and KNOWINGLY sitting in an overtaking lane (where people are inevitably going over the speed limit) going slower than the traffic in that lane, is as obnoxious as the white van man (dont know if you have them over in the US) sitting right up your arse.

On a positive note I'm with you on the coasting red light thing though. There is absolutely nothing wrong with slowing down in a light is on red in the distance. You don't gain or lose time, and you are driving in a more economic fasion.
idk if youre replying to me, but if so, how is going speed limit deliberately pissing anybody off?

on the topic of driving, mny dad was driving on a highway, and a deer jumped in front of his car causing the hood to fly off, and he almost died. I HATE DEERS. my dad just put a new 2000 engine in the car too...

sportsstar469 said:
idk if youre replying to me, but if so, how is going speed limit deliberately pissing anybody off?

on the topic of driving, mny dad was driving on a highway, and a deer jumped in front of his car causing the hood to fly off, and he almost died. I HATE DEERS. my dad just put a new 2000 engine in the car too...

was responding to leroy.

sportsstar469 said:

I don't think s/he was replying to you.

As s/he said:
Why on Earth would you cruise in an overtaking lane when not overtaking anyway?

Where the hell is Leroy. I'm tellin' ya, this new 'lectric web space drivin' thing is cool:

With this(OmCheeto's) car, this trip will cost: $0.96
With an electric car, this trip will cost: $0.16
By using an electric car, you save: $0.80, a savings of 83%!

And they only showed me breaking the law about http://chargecar.org/data/do_graph?meta_data_id=333&data_type=gps_datas&graph_type=speed_over_time&file_name[name .

"But please occifer, I was passin' some'un'. 'ats why I was goin' so fast"

:biggrin:

IMHO, there are people who will, and those who will not, fit into the new EV mode of driving.

As PC also said; "If going without is not an option, go efficient"

BobG said:

That happened to me once. I was at a point where there was a bend in the street and nearly side swiped someone as I vomited all over my passenger seat. No accident fortunately.

Why?

I mean, why be a jerk?

Is that what Jesus would do?

Part of one's character is what one does regardless of provocation.
I try to be as nice as possible when I drive. In every other situation, I give people lots of room to merge, I don't get right up on them when they're going slow. But when I'm going 5 MPH over the speed limit and that's too slow for the people behind me, that's too bad. If they want to break the law by more than 5 MPH, then they're not going to make me an accomplice.
Are you a cusser? If we got into an argument and I started cussing at you, could
I provoke you into responding in kind? If on the road, could I get you to flip me the bird?
I'm a very calm debater. If you started getting belligerent, I'd most likely just end the conversation.
Why on Earth would you cruise in an overtaking lane when not overtaking anyway? There is no logical reason for it, apart from being deliberately awkward.
Because I want to go at least the speed limit. The right lane is where the people drive who don't want to go the maximum. I don't want to get stuck behind someone going the minimum. Plus it's annoying having to slow down or change lanes for non-yielders who are merging. They'd rather risk a fiery inferno than to slow down until there's an opening.
It doesn't suck to be you when I save you a speeding ticket.
That's not my attitude. I'll give them the speed limit, but I won't be an accomplice by facilitating their law breaking.
because I am not speeding and I prefer to stay out of the speeders' lane.
This is what people actually believe. That's the "fast lane". Wait a minute. Since when have we given people special lanes to speed in? That's like giving thieves special stores that they can steal from. Or giving murderers special people that they're allowed to kill.
I don't see the point of clogging up the right lane for people who want to merge JUST so we can have a nice clear lane for the speeding law breakers.
I frequently drive I-95 along the east coast (including I-295) and what you describe is very common for me also.
On my way to work I drive down I-95 and get on I-295. What happened to the rest of them? 95 then to 295? There's 200 missing.

leroyjenkens said:
Since when have we given people special lanes to speed in?

It is not a speeding lane. It is a passing lane. And we have people people special lanes to pass in.

Look, there's nothing wrong with merely doing 5mph over the limit when you're passing other cars. Yes, even if there are cars piled up behind you. (i.e. You are not obliged to speed just because you are in the passing lane.)

Just pull into the right lane when you're done passing. Not because of speed. Because you're done passing.

DaveC426913 said:
It is not a speeding lane. It is a passing lane. And we have people people special lanes to pass in.

Look, there's nothing wrong with merely doing 5mph over the limit when you're passing other cars. Yes, even if there are cars piled up behind you. (i.e. You are not obliged to speed just because you are in the passing lane.)

Just pull into the right lane when you're done passing. Not because of speed. Because you're done passing.

Hey dave did you hear about that older lady who was doing 50 over passing a truck on the highway and is fighting her charges haha. She says the laws don't apply to her because she isn't stunt racing. (That new 50 over law that came out awhile ago.) I'm not sure of the outcome of the case but I thought it was pretty funny haha.

Sorry! said:
Hey dave did you hear about that older lady who was doing 50 over passing a truck on the highway and is fighting her charges haha. She says the laws don't apply to her because she isn't stunt racing. (That new 50 over law that came out awhile ago.) I'm not sure of the outcome of the case but I thought it was pretty funny haha.
Yeah, I remember that.

Not sure which way that should fall, really.

While the law is aimed at combating stunt-racing, it is not "the stunt-racing law". 50 over is 50 over.

leroyjenkens said:
I try to be as nice as possible when I drive. In every other situation, I give people lots of room to merge, I don't get right up on them when they're going slow. But when I'm going 5 MPH over the speed limit and that's too slow for the people behind me, that's too bad. If they want to break the law by more than 5 MPH, then they're not going to make me an accomplice.

Yet you don't mind breaking the law by going 5 over which is still breaking the law isn't it? Or braking the accepted guidelines (I don't know if it law in the US) that the lane is for OVERTAKING.

So basically it can't be that you want to uphold the law by stopping people speeding as you are doing it yourself.

It doesn't suck to be you when I save you a speeding ticket.
That's not my attitude. I'll give them the speed limit, but I won't be an accomplice by facilitating their law breaking.
Do you realize how much of a pompous arse you sound. Save me a speeding ticket. How noble and just of you. And you saved me a speeding ticket by ONLY breaking the law yourself by 5mph. Well done, you should get a community medal.

You do realize that you moving out of an overtaking lane ISNT being an accomplice. You acutally can't be an accomplice to a speeding charge, you aren't assisting them in any way. Doing nothing to stop them is NOT the same as actively helping them.

I'd rather you stuck to the rules of the road and got out of an overtaking lane when you are done overtaking.
You really do sound like a hypocrite and a jerk behind the wheel. Not to mention a moaner.

leroyjenkens said:
On my way to work I drive down I-95 and get on I-295. What happened to the rest of them? 95 then to 295? There's 200 missing.
If you've ever experienced the merge between R-30 and I-295, you know how complex the highway number system can get.