1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redraw Equivalent Circuit for 3-input OR gate

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    How do you redraw a three-input OR gate circuit using only 2-input NAND gates?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2
    Using De Morgan's laws, you should be able to figure out how to make a 2-input OR gate using NAND gates. You can make a NOT gate by wiring the NAND inputs together.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

DeMorgan's law says
    [tex]\overline{A+B}= \overline A\cdot \overline B[/tex]

or

[tex]A+B = \overline{\overline A\cdot \overline B}= NAND(\overline A,\overline B)[/tex]

So start with A + (B + C)...

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You know the rules, Deathfish. Show us your work!

6. Aug 29, 2011 #5
    i've worked on this, but i seem to be going back and forth combining all combinations ie. 3C2 with no luck... difficult to explain this here. I know the equivalent of 2-input OR gates... but i am required to draw up 3-input OR gate when i am given just 2-input NAND gates. The question is to output HIGH when at least 2 out of 3 inputs are LOW.

7. Aug 29, 2011 #6

berkeman

A 3-input OR gate does not "output high when at least 2 out of 3 inputs are low"...

8. Aug 29, 2011 #7
    its part of the question... A AND B, B AND C, A AND C then combine them together..

9. Aug 29, 2011 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Part of what question? Your original post says nothing about AND gates.

10. Aug 29, 2011 #9
    figured the first part out just need to combine that using three-input OR gate..

11. Aug 29, 2011 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just guessing, are you trying to implement a majority circuit where two or more of A,B, and C are true? If so, it probably will take as many NAND gates to implement the 3 input OR gate by itself as it would to do the whole problem with NANDs in the first place.

12. Aug 29, 2011 #11

berkeman

Thanks for being so clear in your OP. In the future, use the Homework Help Template, which asks for the exact problem statement.

I'm out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook