Redshift effect And photon energy loss

In summary, photons shift towards the longer wavelengths as they travel because the frequency of the photons decreases as they travel. The lost energy is transferred to the gravitational field and causes the wavelengths to shift.
ujellytek
I've been searching around the web to figure out why photons shift towards the longer wavelengths as they travel from stars and other light sources but I haven't figured out why they loose energy as they travel ( and after reading some web pages I was told that they don't even loose the energy as they travel) so essentially I'm all confused on this topic. Here are my questions. How do photons loose the energy in the red shift effect? Where does that energy lost go?

Physics news on Phys.org
ujellytek said:
I've been searching around the web to figure out why photons shift towards the longer wavelengths as they travel from stars and other light sources but I haven't figured out why they loose energy as they travel ( and after reading some web pages I was told that they don't even loose the energy as they travel) so essentially I'm all confused on this topic. Here are my questions. How do photons loose the energy in the red shift effect? Where does that energy lost go?
It's not clear if you talk about redshift due to speed or due to gravitation; you already got an answer about the effect of speed, and the discussion in the link is a good primer for the effect of gravitation.

Concerning gravitation there is some disagreement, in part perhaps due to Einstein who in 1911 suggested that radiation can loose energy in transfer, but in that same paper clarified that radiation cannot change frequency on its travel through vacuum - and without a change in frequency there is also no "lost energy". That second consideration fits neatly with the reference about speed that Bill gave and leads to consistent descriptions.
For example Einstein predicted the gravitational redshift effect of light from stars because it is emitted at lower frequencies:

"Thus the clock goes more slowly if set up in the neighbourhood of ponderable masses. From this it follows that the spectral lines of light reaching us from the surface of large stars must appear displaced towards the red end of the spectrum."
- p.198, Foundation of General Relativity, 1916. http://web.archive.org/web/20060829045130/http://www.Alberteinstein.info/gallery/gtext3.html

Last edited:
Alright thanks guys. You guys have given me enough info , thanks.

1. What is the Redshift effect?

The Redshift effect is a phenomenon in which the wavelength of electromagnetic radiation, including light, appears longer or "shifted" towards the red end of the spectrum. This occurs when an object emitting the radiation is moving away from the observer at high speeds. The greater the speed of the object, the more pronounced the Redshift effect will be.

2. How is the Redshift effect related to the expansion of the universe?

The Redshift effect is directly related to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, objects in space are moving away from each other, causing the wavelength of their emitted radiation to appear longer and exhibit a Redshift. This effect is a key piece of evidence for the theory of the expanding universe.

3. What is the relationship between Redshift and photon energy loss?

The Redshift effect is caused by the loss of photon energy as it travels through space. As photons travel through space, they can lose energy due to various factors such as interactions with particles or the expansion of the universe. This decrease in energy results in a longer wavelength and a Redshift in the observed radiation.

4. Can the Redshift effect be used to measure the distances of objects in space?

Yes, the Redshift effect can be used as a tool to measure the distances of objects in space. By studying the amount of Redshift in the wavelengths of radiation emitted by distant objects, scientists can determine their relative distances from Earth. This has been a crucial method in mapping the structure and expansion of the universe.

5. How does the Redshift effect impact our understanding of the universe?

The Redshift effect has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe and has provided evidence for the Big Bang theory and the expansion of the universe. It has also allowed scientists to estimate the age and size of the universe, as well as map out the distribution of galaxies and other objects in space. The Redshift effect continues to be a crucial tool in studying the evolution and structure of our universe.